TV licence fraud?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by McBob, Aug 31, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Hi, first ever post btw!

Im off to Uni in 2 weeks and was looking at what TV to get. I came across the range of Elgato USB tuners on apples web site and had an idea. Theoretically as long as I use the suplied ariels and connect it to my Powerbook this would qualify as a portable TV, would it not?

Under the TV licence regulations they state that a portable TV would be covered by the licence my parents hold, saving me well over £100.

Does anybody know if this would hold up if questions start being asked. Also getting a 24" imac before i go. Quite suitable for a TV one might think :rolleyes: ?

Robx

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If you're in uni in the UK, I'd wouldn't be overly worried about a license. Wait until you're asked to get one – there's no penalty for getting it later. Save your money for beer :D

4. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I think you should probably get a TV Licence. It's your call, though, they're not going to try and fine you or anything right off the bat. If you're not too fussed about whether you pay it or not then it'd be worth calling the beeb to get their take.

5. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

irishgrizzly, I wouldn't be too sure about that. The BBC are very effective in tracking down those without a license and I'm sure that universities provide rich pickings.

When we first bought the land our house stands on, we registered it to get an address and put a small, wooden box on a pole on it so that we could receive post there, rather than have it sent to our temporary address. Even before building work started we had a card to the effect of 'We notice that you do not have a TV registered at this address ...'

There we were, with an empty piece of land and a card saying they noticed we didn't have a TV. I was longing for the radar van to come down to investigate. :D

6. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp#link2

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/detectionandpenalties.jsp

Buy a TV Licence, it's a lot cheaper than the alternative.

7. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I lived in London and got a visit within the year from an inspector, he was very reasonable and gave us 3 weeks to produce a license. Lived in Sheffield for 3 years and never met one. Must say that of any license I've had to pay the BBC is the one I least minded as the programs are the best in the world. Paying for an Irish license hurts as RTE is s*!t :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502

PAYING for a TV licence!

haha

it would suck living in the UK for that reason

i love living in australia, no licence/fees are needed ever for recieving terrestrial tv broadcasts,

plus all stations now transmit in 1080 so its pretty sweet.

still nothing on south koreas though...

9. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks every one for the reply, im not going to get one too soon. Probably wait for my friends to get one and see how strict my Uni is then go from there.

Robx

10. macrumors 6502

Get a TV Licence, don't be a thief. If you don't, I hope you get fined. :mad:

You don't even have to pay it all in one go - by Direct Debit it's about £11 a month.

If getting drunk is more important to you than becoming a productive, useful member of society (surely the point of going to university in the first place?) then why bother?

11. macrumors 6502

Well personally think it is a complete rip off. The BBC don't need to charge so much, and lots of people don't have all these digital channels yet! Not everyone wants to watch the BBC channels annyway, give me the sky channels anyday.

Yes you should pay for the licence, because you obviously don't want to get fined, but doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

As for the direct debit, they don't start by taking £11 out, I think they take the fee for half a year or something like that then you pay £11 a month. My friend did this at uni, and didn't even realise!

12. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Ministry of Houzinge?

It was spelt that way on the bleedin' van!

13. macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I dont have a tv license, i use my apple tv and us itunes account. the tv guy tried to say i still had to pay because the tv had a tuner in it but i told him what am i supposed to do with it, you can't just take out the tuner.
    If the uk goverment could get away with it they would charge cyclests road tax and milage tax for using the roads, pavements and a special tax on cycleing in cycle lanes and forests.

14. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I had a friend in Kent who never watched tele. They had a small TV and a VCR they used to watch prerecorded tapes (for the kids). When the inspectors showed up, he explained it to them, showed them the tele and vcr with no aerial and they said OK. In your case, I think it would be wise to purchase a license.

15. macrumors newbie

Let me get this straight...

You folks in the UK are required to pay a monthly license fee to the BBC simply in order to own a television? As in a plain old bunny-ears aerial antenna television with no cable connections? Is that right?

So say you purchase a television to watch movies on your DVD player or VCR - and don't even have it connected to an antenna - you are STILL required to pay simply because it has a tuner and therefore the ability to receive programming?

I can't even begin to imagine how that one got through the courts.

But then we've got our fair share of ridiculosities over here in the States too (including words like ridiculosities).

16. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its the way the BBC is funded. Seems strange to outsiders and probably would be more efficient through taxes, especially now that 99.99% of the population own and watch TV.

17. macrumors 68000

cal6n

and what with Eric being such a happy cat...

:D

18. macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

19. macrumors 6502

Yep. When you buy a new TV, you have to give your name and address to the retailer, which then gets passed on to the TV Licensing Agency.

It's not the ideal situation for some people, but it does lead to some of the best TV - news, current affairs and drama in the world. Without the BBC, politicians and media moguls would do in the UK what they do in the US - buy people's hearts and minds with biased, controlling programming.

Personally, I'm willing to pay to make sure we don't slip further down the route of Americanisation (no offence to our North American cousins, but I'm British and proud of it).

20. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you familiar with the chap who just finished being your prime minister? :eek: ;)

In terms of the reasonableness of costs like these, I agree that you have to look at the whole picture together. It's not realistic to think of the US and UK ways of doing things as totally modular systems where you can pluck out one thing like TV license or VAT, or the way the US cellular and broadband infrastructures work, for instance, and plug it into the other system.

It's very difficult to convince most Americans that it's worth it to them to pay for services via taxation of any kind. Partially because, to their credit, while we pay less taxes than you do, we get even disproportionately less services than you do from our government. On the other hand, affluent or wealthy Americans are very fortunate. So it's very hard to make a sea change in all of this....

21. macrumors 6502

I can't wait to get stuck in on the PSRI forums... got a few more posts to go before I qualify though! ;)

Edit: Actually, I think I *do* qualify now... :D

22. macrumors 6502

dogtanian

I didn't have a licence for about four years. Then last month, a nice chap appeared at the door and we've been paying it since. We simply didn't even think of making the effort till they knew my name :)

I say don't pay till they're at you door but then they may not have been as nice as the gent I had....

Just a piece of info though if you wanted to be on the wrong side of the law, they send about 12-15 reminder letters to tell you to pay, each a tiny bit more serious than the last so you could hold out till about number 20 I'd bet!

I should be responsible and say get one but I was a student at the time...:p

Planet earth and Blue planet are worth the licence fee alone however...(Blu ray disc out in Oct! Whoop!)

23. Lau

When I was a student we had a TV and only used it for SNES and videos (there was no aerial socket in the flat), so didn't pay for a license, and wrote them a letter and told them that, and that was all fine. They didn't send anyone round or anything, although this was in 1999, which I suppose was nearly 10 years ago. (!)

From the regulations it implies that you should get one, but I wouldn't worry until they start hassling you. Having also lived in flats without a TV, the letters are clever in that they're worded to make you nervous – they assume that everyone without a license must have one secretly, and if you genuinely don't have a TV, it's all quite funny to see their bluffing. ;)

24. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

From the officals at

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

If you buy a licence, you can reclaim 3 months worth at the summer.

Your parents licence will cover it if you ONLY watch tv while on batteries and not plugged into the mains.

If you have a separate tenancy contract (i.e. halls of residence) The communal licence will cover mains powered tv if you only watch in communal areas and not your own room.

If you have a joint tenancy contract (i.e. rent with a group of mates) then a single tv licence will cover all of you and the whole house / flat.

25. macrumors 6502

I'm in the same position and will be purchasing a license, just because i don't wanna be fussed with inspectors during exams or when i could be in the pub.. :D what i think is wrong is that I don't like the BBC, i watch it sometimes if nothing else is on, but I would quite happily keep my £100 or more?
    and not have the bbc.

I can't stand the fact that the license fee gets paid to run the BBC website in 48 different languages.
    the fact that jonathon ross gets paid £15 million a year..

it makes me sick.

we're such a sleepy country, we shouldn't tolerate these things.
    we kind of look down on all these eastern european/south american countries where they have rioting in the streets, but at least they stand up and say things aren't right.

grrr i wanna live in america.