TV on a monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalns, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I have a 19" Samsung monitor on the way and I'd like to get rid of my big and bulky TV but I also happen to love watching Turner Classic Movies and I'd like to continue to be able to do so. Is there some kind of box I could get where I could run the cable connection to and then run that into the monitor? Or maybe something that connects to the mac? I'm going to be hooking my macbook up into the monitor afterall.

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

wait i think you made this more complicated more than it needs to be. Are you asking can you run both a cable line and an HDMI (most likely) line into the samsung monitor so that you can watch TCM and also use it to display your mac, not necessarily at the same time?

3. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

There is no HDMI. My monitor has a DVI input (which the mac will be going into) and VGA input (which a VGA box will going into). So I either need a solution that connects to the mac or one that connects to the VGA box (which has composite, component and S video hookups).

Thinking about it more, I think I'd prefer a mac based solution if there is such a thing so I can watch movies while working on the computer.

4. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

I ended up going with that Miglia thing. Seemed suited to my purposes.