Tv on iMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Scenicroadways, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

Hi, my brother in law wants to purchase an iMac. He has a subscription to digital cable for his tv already and is going to be getting high speed internet for his iMac from the cable company. He wants to be able to watch tv on the iMac and record shows on it to the HD. Is this possible and easy to do? Any responses appreciated.

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i would say to get an all-in-wonder card and use some software on the computer, but since it's an imac that won't work...
    however, formac has a product called the studio tvr. you can buy that, but at $299 it's bit pricey. it may be easier/cheaper to invest in a tivo/replaytv/etc.
    i've also heard that, there is quite a bit of lag on older usb type devices. i believe that the studio tvr uses firewire...

reality

3. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Why???????

Why anybody wants to watch TV on a computer still baffles me. Get a 19" for cheap.

TiVo! anyone?

:rolleyes:

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Avoid Formac like the plague, terrible company.

Instead go with the eyeTV series from El Gato. The original eyeTV is USB based and pretty good for just watching TV. The eyeTV200 is firewire based and uses a better encoding technology. Both have a short delay due to proccesing the signal so aren't any use for playing video games but other than that are great products.