TV On Mac..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac-Addict, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I'm getting my 24" iMac christmas and I want tv on it but I don't know what tuner to get.. I would like to be able to:
    1. Connect a PS3 to it.. (If possible not complety nessisery)
    2. Watch HDTV (when it comes out..)
    3. Be able to record and edit tv
    4. Watch freeview (digital tv)
    5. Connect to my roof aireal (I have a socket next to where my imac will sit)

and thats it.. Please can u adivse me what would be the best tv tuner option for me :)

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

3. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm getting the new Elgato hybrid analogue/DTT USB soon. That includes a breakout cable for connecting analogue SDTV devices to it, (PS3 included, but loses out on any HD quality). It uses the EyeTV software which will allow you to record Tv and export to QT for editing/converting too. It will give you freeview through the DTT, depending on reception, your roof aerial will be better for this anyway, and it will plug straight in without an adapter being needed.

As for HDTV, if you live in London and have a PC based tuner, you can pick up the audio for the BBC HD Preview channel, but not the video. Since Freeview will probably take another 5-6 years to launch their HD services, it isn't much of a problem. However, if you are still using it then and want HD, it may only need a firmware update. As for Sky/ntl:/Telewest HD services, again as you would connect any of these boxes through S-Video/Composite, it would only show up on the Mac as SDTV.

Anyway, it will be used on my MBP for now and take permanent home on my 24" iMac next year when I get it.

4. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

TV on a Mac

Yes, I agree with logicpro7. Elgato EyeTV Hybrid receives digital HD signal & prestine picture quality from a table top or rooftop antenna (as long as the signal is there, close to a major city).

5. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Thanks guys! You've been a big help I'm still a bit confussed over HDTV But I dont care that much because its around 4 years away..

Cant wait to properly join the mac community at christmas :D

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Are you sure this is true of the UK? I have read this item is geared up for HD in the US and Australia, but that so far people have only got audio of the channels being trialled through Freeview in the UK. No hack yet exists either, but I'm cool with that for the time being.

I will however keep an eye, (pardon the pun), out for any changes. Since I will hopefully be buying whilst in London too, (only place where the trials are taking place), I will rip open immediately, stick into my MBP and see if I can pick anything HD up. Of course, I may need to buy a good quality portable aerial too, which I'll need eventually anyway, so why put off, as I will not be anywhere where I can plug into a roof aerial to my knowledge.