TV on the iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by frankm007, Nov 16, 2006.

1. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

2. barkins macrumors regular

barkins

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that looks like a cool solution as well. is that like a cable modem that plugs into a router and then any computer on the network can use that? if so then nice

4. rspeaker macrumors 6502

The SlingBox looks cool, but GOODNESS is it expensive!

I just have a Miglia TVMicro, and have the cable split, one for my computer, another for the TV. Obviously, my computer only gets standard cable channels.

However, if I plug the cable direct from the box to my TVMicro, I can record anything I want, but it has to be tuned at the box and not my computer.

If you're looking for a cheap(er) solution, I'd recommend it.

EDIT: You said you wanted to watch, nothing about recording, so this is probably worth disregarding.

5. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

You'll get all your standard channels. i.e. the non-"digital cable" channels. ESPN, Discovery, A&E, etc., but not any of the higher tiers or premium packages. Those come encrypted, and only your cable box can decrypt them.

Hooking up a cable box to an EyeTV is not that bad. The two main disadvantages are that you can't change channels from the Mac and you have to remember to set the box to the right channel if you want to schedule a recording. Otherwise, there is no real difference in terms of watching TV.

7. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Yup, that will do it.

Instead of using the RF output of the cable box though and setting the EyeTV to channel 3, you should be able to use the s-video output and set the EyeTV to the s-video input. Much better picture quality than RF.

9. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried using the S-video just yet, but I must admit... the way it's set up right now the picture quality is very very grain! :/

Any special cable or can I get it at bestbuy (or any other similar store)

10. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I was unable to get S-video set up since my cable box doesn't allow it. I did have the cables to set it up as "Composite Video Input" and under that set-up its it's pretty horrific! Is RF output better quality than composite?

11. cMacSW macrumors regular

I've used EyeTV usb and 500 models with success. If you do plan on doing any recording make sure you have plenty of disk space.

12. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I just realized I have "basic cable" not "digital"... I'm assuming that is the reason I'm not getting the quality expected?

13. xadiaz macrumors newbie

VHS to EyeTV

HI!

I am trying to get signal from an AIWA TV which has video playter incorporated, through a scart (out) and connected to a s-video cable, then to an EyeTV 200, and finally to my MAC. I've got Eye TV 1.8.5. I have set up S-video input, but I cannot get signal. CAn someone help me?? I have checked all cables and I don't know what else to do.

Thanks