Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
thinkning about setting up a digital entertainment center in my living room around a mac mini...however,i would need a new TV.....id like a cheap TV, but with s video since thatd be best quality from the mac mini....and nothing bigger than like 32 inches as my case thing isnt very big...any recommendations on a bargain for a tv/monitor that could accomplish this? people sit from about 10-13 feet away....thanks!

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
If you dont need a thin panel (plasma or LCD) go with a Sony CRT. Tubes give you the best bang for the buck, especially in that size. The Sony XBR widescreen tubes are wonderful, but a little pricey;......

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
would i be sacrifcing quality? i already have a CRT (phillips i think) but i doubt there is a dvi input.....is it that big of a deal to not have one and just use the svid converter cable? can i still retain the same quality that i haven ow?

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
derajfast said:
thinkning about setting up a digital entertainment center in my living room around a mac mini...however,i would need a new TV.....id like a cheap TV, but with s video since thatd be best quality from the mac mini....and nothing bigger than like 32 inches as my case thing isnt very big...any recommendations on a bargain for a tv/monitor that could accomplish this? people sit from about 10-13 feet away....thanks!

I hate to say it, but I am going to use the W word (walmart). I managed to get a 27 inch (tube) RCA Hi Def. tv there for less than 300 bucks. I have not seen this tv any where else. If you go to look for it, make sure it say Hi Definition on the box because they also have 27 in RCA's that aren't Hi Def for almost the same price.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
well i already have a flat screen tv that has pretty good quality, but its not HD......and if i dont have to, id rather not shell out $ for a new tv....would it be too bad to hook this up right to a mac mini or would the quality be bad?

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
so then whats a good 20-23inch lcd screen that i could buy for less than 800 hopefully.......i guess ill get eyetv

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
derajfast said:
how big is this? itd work with eyetv and being hooked up to my mac mini?

O I forgot you were using a Mac Mini. I would stick with the 2005FPW, as the 2405 (It's 24 inch BTW) will look choppy with the Mac Mini graphics card, and video. I would get the EyeTV 200 if your going to go that route, as I don't think the Mini could handle HD playback. I have a Power Mac, and it struggles sometimes with the HD video. Also if you get the EyeTV 200, I would upgrade your Mini to a gig of RAM. As for the 2005FPW, you can get it for less than $400 if you're patient. Currently there are no coupons for it, but there may be in the next few weeks.

Edit: After thinking about it, you might be better off with a 19 inch monitor. Those are on sale all the time from Dell. It would be good, because it has a lower resolution, so when you're sitting far away, you can see it a lot better. Also if you get an EyeTV 200, the 19 inch is closer to the 4:3 aspect ratio that analog TV is broadcasted in versus the 2005FPW would have large bars on the side.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
so i should get a 19inch from dell? those usually run about 450 sans coupons correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.