tv show compression for archiving

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Feb 1, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    ok, so i have a 24 minute tv show that i've captured from vhs through my formac studio (as dv ntsc). now i want to compress it in such a way that it will be somewhere around 100 megs or smaller... with as good quality as possible of course

my initial reaction... mp4! well, i've got the result of that compression... 170ish megs... and two things.

1. when there's movement, there's terrible interlacing artifacts... and

2. the sound keeps going out of sync...

so, i'm wondering if anyone could recommend some settings/codecs for something like this?

thanks a lot.
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Try the Sorenson 3 codec in QT6, coupled with a smaller screen size, Sorenson has always proved very resistant to artifacts and will expand well, but I think the level of compression you are talking about will definately leave artifacts in the picture.

If it's not critical try dropping the framerate as well.
  3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Burn it on DVD. You'll be taking more space than what you wanted but the picture quality should be great.
  4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i'm trying the sorenson thing now...

as for dvd... yeah, i mean, it's not a bad idea. but the problem is, we're starting with ****ty vhs as it is... so it will never look "great", you know?

so what would be a good way to get each episode down to maybe... 500 megs? or a gig? that way i can make dvds of the episodes with pretty high quality stuff... dvd r's that is... or i guess i could go the "actual" dvd route... hmm
  5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2002
    New York
    or just make video CDs, find a happy medium with maybe 2 episodes per cd and have then be around 300MB each and that way your quality will increase but you wont waste a DVD on VHS quality.

remember Video MPEG1 CDs are just about on the same level as VHS quality.