Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Damn. I watched it last night and next season has to be the last. I don't want Dexter to be dragged out for multiple seasons, ala Entourage. There are so many unanswered questions.

I wonder how the writers will wrap it up with the Mitchells and "Kyle Butler" though, if they even plan to.

I don't think that next season has to be the last. I'd say that they can churn out at least 2 more seasons. I think that there's still a lot of story left to tell.

I was wondering about the Kyle Butler storyline as well. I don't think that the writers are planning on continuing with that storyline. They seem to move on to the next story each season. Maybe, in the first episode, Dexter will mention that the Mitchells moved out of town somewhere or something. I think it would be nice if Dexter sent the Mitchells the money that he took from Arthur, and wrote them a note from Arthur, telling them that they are free and that he'll leave them alone. Something like that.

I still can't believe that they killed off Rita<-major spoiler. That was totally shocking.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
What a sad ending but this is why i watch Dexter...that was totally unexpected!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I don't think that next season has to be the last. I'd say that they can churn out at least 2 more seasons. I think that there's still a lot of story left to tell.

I was wondering about the Kyle Butler storyline as well. I don't think that the writers are planning on continuing with that storyline. They seem to move on to the next story each season. Maybe, in the first episode, Dexter will mention that the Mitchells moved out of town somewhere or something. I think it would be nice if Dexter sent the Mitchells the money that he took from Arthur, and wrote them a note from Arthur, telling them that they are free and that he'll leave them alone. Something like that.

I still can't believe that they killed off Rita<-major spoiler. That was totally shocking.

They can push this series as long as they want but I think it's best to leave while you're on top. The show has about two more years before it jumps the shark. Besides the way they're headed everyone will be dead by the end of next season.

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
What a great show! watched the last episode last nite and they ending had me jumping for joy. The writers have been making Rita pretty annoying this season just like they did with Lila in season 2. I had a feeling she wouldn't make it to the end of this season but I was shocked how they wrote her out. Can't wait for next season..

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I watched the season finale last night and I was shocked. I still can't believe they ended it that way! I still love it, but man that's cold.

Damn. I watched it last night and next season has to be the last. I don't want Dexter to be dragged out for multiple seasons, ala Entourage. There are so many unanswered questions.

I still think Dexter is the best TV show. I do hope that they stop sometime while they're ahead. I don't want Dexter to end up like Nip/Tuck did. I loved Nip/Tuck up until the 5th season, then it got really ridiculous and stupid. Now, I don't watch it anymore.

I wonder how the writers will wrap it up with the Mitchells and "Kyle Butler" though, if they even plan to.

I don't think that they will mention them in the next season because there really is no reason to.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They can push this series as long as they want but I think it's best to leave while you're on top. The show has about two more years before it jumps the shark.

I agree. I think 2 more season- max 3- is the way to go for this show.

The next few paragraphs contain spoilers...... so don't read them if you still want to watch the show:

Apparently, they had a couple of different endings to go with, and they decided to go with the dead-Rita one. Julie Benz, the actor that plays Rita, was not too happy that she was being cut out of the show. I thought they might keep her around, and have Rita be a part of Dexter's consciousness (like Harry), but they have no plans to do that for next season. But I guess plans could change....

I liked how Dexter tripped over the toy train set right before he discovered Rita. That was a nice touch that I noticed once I rewound and re-watched the last couple of scenes.

The only bit of writing that I didn't like is when Dexter's phone beeped to tell him that he had a voicemail for the first time after he got home. Why didn't it beep right after Rita left him the message? Does he have AT&T?:p If the writers would have shown him ignoring the call earlier on in the day, or turning his phone off before he went after Arthur, that would have made more sense. They could have shown Dexter turning his phone off before he got into the truck of the Mustang, and turning it back on when he walked through the door of his house.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Yeah, though how could he not be darker than he already is?

I think this year they humanized Dexter quite a bit. I don't think the show could continue that way for much longer. With the death of Rita, Dexter is sure to be filled with rage and will likely want to give a big "eff you" to the code.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think this year they humanized Dexter quite a bit. I don't think the show could continue that way for much longer. With the death of Rita, Dexter is sure to be filled with rage and will likely want to give a big "eff you" to the code.

The reason Rita got killed was because Dexter didn't follow the Code. If he had followed Harry's Code, she would still be alive. He let emotion cloud his judgement. It's not the code's fault.

But yeah, I can see a more angry and dark Dexter for the next season.

I wonder if the next plot-line will involve Deb somehow figuring out that Dexter is a serial killer.....

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i love this show. the ending was just WOW.

So many things come to mind, but next year will be interesting:

how will the 1st episode start? ie. does Dexter hide Rita's body? does he call the cops? do they question where he was (he certainly doesn't have an alibi) when she was killed? will Deb wonder why the bathtub scenario played out? will batista see a picture of Arthur and realize he had been in the station talking to Dexter? will dexter give the money back to arthur's family? will they bust him for being kyle butler? will deb find out about Dexter's past? will she start to link missing persons with dexter (probably a far stretch, but still...). And Quinn - he was really starting to question Dexter's whereabouts so what happens now that Rita is dead?

i think dexter will be darker. he has to be - his wife was killed b/c he was losing control (even though he felt like he had control).

I also wonder about the note left on dexter's vehicle after he went back to the van to realize arthur wasn't there. I fully expected him to see that note and discover it was from arthur or maybe it was just a red herring.

I thought the title of 'The Getaway' was interesting. It was supposed to be Arthur's 'getaway'. It was supposed to be Dexter's 'getaway', but in the end, neither one 'getsaway' b/c even though Dex finally does Arthur in, he loses big time b/c of Rita.

I wonder if they'll start to show Rita like they do Harry. That could be an amazing realm of possibilities.

best show around imho. great writing, solid acting etc..

will miss it for the next 9 months.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
how will the 1st episode start? ie. does Dexter hide Rita's body? does he call the cops? do they question where he was (he certainly doesn't have an alibi) when she was killed? will Deb wonder why the bathtub scenario played out? will batista see a picture of Arthur and realize he had been in the station talking to Dexter?

First of all, I don't think that Dexter will hide Rita's body. He has no reason to hide it. I also don't think that they will question where he was when she was murdered. Unless they think that he killed her, does it really matter where he was?

I think that Deborah will just figure that Arthur was trying to get back at someone in homicide before he "fled the country".

I do wonder about Batista seeing Arthur in the station talking to Dexter.

will dexter give the money back to arthur's family? will they bust him for being kyle butler?

Dexter said at the end of the episode that he was going to give the money to Arthur's family.

What did Kyle Butler do to get busted for? Anyways, I would think that Aurthur's family thinks that Dexter was just working on the "inside". I mean, he's a homicide detective and their dad/husband was a serial killer.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if they'll start to show Rita like they do Harry. That could be an amazing realm of possibilities.

See my post above, the producer has said that Rita won't be coming back á la Harry.

First of all, I don't think that Dexter will hide Rita's body. He has no reason to hide it. I also don't think that they will question where he was when she was murdered. Unless they think that he killed her, does it really matter where he was?

I think that Deborah will just figure that Arthur was trying to get back at someone in homicide before he "fled the country".

I do wonder about Batista seeing Arthur in the station talking to Dexter.

Dexter said at the end of the episode that he was going to give the money to Arthur's family.

What did Kyle Butler do to get busted for? Anyways, I would think that Aurthur's family thinks that Dexter was just working on the "inside". I mean, he's a homicide detective and their dad/husband was a serial killer.

I agree...... he won't hide the body, he won't be a suspect. They'll think that Dexter was a target because he works for Miami PD. I think that the Mitchell storyline is over- I agree, if they found out he works for the Miami PD, they'd think he was undercover or something.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
See my post above, the producer has said that Rita won't be coming back á la Harry.

I agree...... he won't hide the body, he won't be a suspect. They'll think that Dexter was a target because he works for Miami PD. I think that the Mitchell storyline is over- I agree, if they found out he works for the Miami PD, they'd think he was undercover or something.

The show may/may not jump ahead in time and Dexter may be a suspect according to this interview: http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/413268_tvgif14.html

The writer was about to say number one suspect but then stopped in the middle of it. The writer then goes on to say that the spouse is usually the first suspect in a homicide.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The show may/may not jump ahead in time and Dexter may be a suspect according to this interview: http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/413268_tvgif14.html

The writer was about to say number one suspect but then stopped in the middle of it. The writer then goes on to say that the spouse is usually the first suspect in a homicide.

Wow, great interview. Quite different from what I heard. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting it........

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I also wonder about the note left on dexter's vehicle after he went back to the van to realize arthur wasn't there. I fully expected him to see that note and discover it was from arthur or maybe it was just a red herring.

parking ticket

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I was stunned and amazed like everyone else here at that ending. A big thumbs up and round of applause to everyone involved with Dexter.

My girlfriend (who has never seen an episode before the season end) was caught off guard and shocked and wants to watch season 1-4 now simply because of that ending.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

After reading that interview, I guess it does sound like they might make Dexter the number one suspect. Season 5 might be like how season 2 was in that he was almost figured out, but then was able to blame it on Doakes.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The wife and I just finished the seasin finale last night. I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time. Next season will be interesting. We all know the ultimate finale to the show will be centered around his relationship with his sister.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The finalle is hopefully sitting at home on my DVR. I've been gone for a month. I skimmed though these last couple of posts with the intent of missing any accidental spoilers.

If you are thinking about this show, the first season is great and the second season is just outstanding if you can stomach the subject matter.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Necrothread of the day?

Just a heads up to anyone wanting to watch Dexter on Netflix, do it SOON. Showtime is pulling its shows from Netflix this Summer.

Source

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I'm looking forward to the new season. I'm curious to see what direction the writers take the show. Plus, every time I see a Dodge commercial, it reminds me of Dexter....

We're new fans but thanks to Netflix we're all caught up! Then we watched the last season on demand before Showtime pulled them. Love the show - we would just plow through 3 episodes and wonder where the time went.

And wife and I love Debra's filthy mouth :D

Last edited:

Ponger22

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I just caught up as well...watched the first season but then missed most of the second but I'm back on track. What a good show, absolutely can not wait for the next season :D :D :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
While I believe Dexter Seasons 1&2 represents the top rung any televised series in the history of TV :), I'm cooling off a bit towards it although it is still one of the best series on today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.