TV shows for girl friend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Feb 9, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    What tv shows will appeal to a girl? My girl friend likes to watch movies but as far as i know she watched every single movie made on earth :). I would like to get her some tv shows, i bought "King of queens" and ugly betty (from itunes) but i dont know what else to get her. Any MR ladies want to give a few recommendations which will be a big help.

My thoughts:
    - King of queens
    - Ugly betty
    - scrubs
    - desperate house wives
    - grays anatomy
  2. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    Mrs 26 loves Desperate Housewives and Grays Anatomy. You can't go too far wrong with those.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    First of all, why the assumption that a woman would necessarily like different shows than men? :confused: Anyhow. I like "24," "LOST," "Heroes," and the older "Desperate Housewives."

But I love love love love "Grey's Anatomy." Mmm.

Don't think I've been this interested in a TV show since... well, maybe never. :eek:
  4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    The Woman likes 'The OC' and all that Soppy American ****.
  5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Two words for you: Gilmore Girls. I don't think any woman could not like Gilmore, and to be honest no man I've talked to hasn't enjoyed it as well. It's funny as hell, but is very much about relationships, family, etc, etc which appeals to the ladies.

My wife started watching it while I was using the computer, etc, and I couldn't help find myself chuckling pretty steadily. Eventually I had to admit I liked it and we watched the entire first five seasons that were on DVD in the span of about 2 or 3 months.]

Well, the assumption is perfectly valid. There's a very distinct line between shows that a majority of men like and a majority of women like. There are shows that cross those boundaries, and there are people who also cross them. My wife loves 24, and I love Gilmore, both shows that are aimed at a pretty specific audience that we both don't fall into. On the other hand, she likes the Real World and I hate it, and I enjoy MythBusters, which she's not fond of at all. Point being that men and women TEND to be drawn to different types of stories, or at least different parts of stories and you can focus a show on those things in order to attract those different audiences.
  6. dsnort macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2006
    In persona non grata
    Works in my household. The wife can't stand to watch the shows I like, and after 10 minutes of "Greys Anatomy" I can feel my IQ dropping. ( And it's not like I can afford to lose much!! :D )

"Greys Anatomy" is a good example of why Hollywood puts out such drivel; it sells.
  7. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I guess my wife isn't the norm, then, because she LOVES Heroes and LOST.

While I can understand not getting into Heroes, I don't see any reason a female wouldn't like LOST. It would seem to have everything Grey's Anatomy has and some decent tension and action to boot. See? Something for everyone :)

All the other suggestions seem reasonable, though: Grey's, Desperate Housewives, etc.
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Guess I'm a bit different then. I've seen maybe three full episodes of Real World, but I've seen a lot more of MythBusters and I'd actually actively seek that show out as opposed to actively avoiding the Real World. *shrug*
  9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    Scrubs. What woman can resist seeing a show full of dysfunctional, but funny men manipulated by savvy, witty women?
  10. wimic macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2006
    calgary, alberta
  11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i know a couple girls who absolutely hate gilmore girls. they don't like the dialogue, the story and the characters. but i do know plenty of girls who like the office. go team pam?
  12. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    House M.D. & Bones.

Wait a minute, those are my favorites and I am male.

Still House M.D. is the best show I've ever watched.