TV Shows in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ianogden, Aug 25, 2006.

1. ianogden macrumors member

ianogden

Is anyone else here from the UK and wondering when they will be releasing TV shows for us to purchase to have on our iPods. I am extremely anxious for this, and I would love to be able to watch my favourite TV Shows on my iPod like our US conterparts...

2. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Its very frustrating that nothing has happened so far with any of the broadcasters.

I know there are problems with certain broadcasters, in particular the BBC, because of their "public service remit". The BBC for example would be breaking the rules of their charter if they were to start selling shows under the banner of BBC TV. The rights of the shows would have to transfered to BBC Worldwide (which allows profit through means of selling, and usually has control of BBC shows sold on DVD). Hence they wouldn't be in a position to start selling a show like Eastenders, or Doctor Who 24 hours after broadcast like happens in the US.

Channel 4 have started selling shows such as Lost after broadcast, but its not iPod compatible at the mo. I think whats happened is that companies have seen the potential in selling shows via the Web, and are attempting their own routes, before they agree to sell the shows via iTunes.

There is hope, remember Europe didn't get an online Music Store via iTunes for ages after the US got theirs! Perhaps it'll be the same with the video content?

3. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

The one Mac-friendly option at the moment is non-iTMS. Although not strictly legal (in the same way that taping your favourite programmes to VHS is not strictly legal), there's always UKNova for downloading UK television content. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work for a while, but I have got some classic TV from a few years ago - The Armando Ianucci Show, The Adam and Joe Show, that sort of thing.

Their one rule is that you can't torrent anything that exists on DVD, thereby removing the impetus for real pirates to jump on UKNova with rips of Alan Partridge DVDs and that sort of thing.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

UKNova is still working absolutely fine :)

One point to mention (and maybe why you can't get it to work), is that it has restricted membership (I think 30,000 people at any one time). If you don't log on for a certain period, your account is deleted to make way for a new member.

It just takes a little patience to join - waiting for a new batch of accounts to become available.

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Yup - looked into UKNova and found out the following:-

"To reduce server load, a limit of 30,000 registered users is imposed, with unused accounts being dropped after 42 days of inactivity to make way for new users."

Interesting concept though only allowing non-dvd released programmes. Cheers for the heads up!

6. yorkslad macrumors regular

Guess we will just have to wait to see if Apple value UK itunes market or bring out some sort of PVR option for current macs which allows you to transfer content to your ipod!! Can understand why BBC worldwide doesnt market existing DVD TV shoes like Doctor Who etc :rolleyes: