TV Shows on iPod, Viewing Experience

Discussion in 'iPod' started by salmon06, Sep 14, 2006.

1. salmon06 macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    I'm thinking of getting one of the new iPods.

I haven't had the chance to check out how TV shows look when watching them on an iPod so I was wondering if anyone could provide some details of their own experiences. Any tips, positives and negatives would be appreciated. I'm basically wondering if watching on such a small screen becomes irritating?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    You certainly are aware of the size of the screen while you're watching. But on a train, plane, or automobile, it's better than nothing. I enjoy the occaisional episode of The Office or Lost on cross-country flights.
  3. Synapple macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    I normally watch videos when on a flight (I travel a lot) and I find my iPod video ok for that.
    I can't stand it for more than a couple of episodes, though... my eyes start to strain.

BTW, I was once stuck in the middle of nowhere for 4 days in a little town in England and my hotel room didn't even have a TV: if it wasn't for my iPod I would've gone crazy. I watched 14 episodes of the 3rd 24 season in 3 days. It saved my life but I was in an "extreme" situation. :)
  4. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Apr 11, 2006
    Surrey, UK
    I find the screen fine, which I was surprised about as my eyesight is terrible. I use it on the train and I take it away with me and have no issues at all. Having that screen near you is not much different in size to a tv screen on the other side of the room if you think about it... unless you have a plasma or something, of course! :)

I wasn't sure how much I'd use it but I use it all the time.
  5. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2006
    I downloaded one of the new 640X480 Res TV shows and the look great. I hooked my Ipod to the TV and it looks like (almost) a DVD. On the Ipod it looks very good. and very detailed. It takes some getting used to watching a tiny screen especially if the shows are in widescreen.
  6. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    Even I thought it'd be a pain to watch videos on such a small screen, but it's not bad at all! Of course, we have to accept the fact that the images are going to be small - but for most TV shows this shouldn't be a problem. I'm able to watch TV shows and other podcasts without any trouble. I guess it's a matter of getting used to. Like others have already said, it's a good thing to have while traveling (as a passenger on a car/train/plane/...).

If the small size really bugs you, you could always spend another USD 269 and get the myvu personal media viewer ( - you get to see it bigger and can also see things around you. :) :cool:

When I win a lottery, the myvu will be the first on my shopping list. :eek: ;)
  7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Aug 5, 2006
    In the Depths of the SLC!
    Yeah, watching videos on the iPod is a treat, I mean the screen is still small, but the crisp bright video playback is superb, I have not seen something look so good, considering it is encoded pretty small. YOu see the ipod and it's normal colrs, then you play a video for the first time, and you are like, WOW! It had been weeks since I watched a video on my ipod, and so I watched one a few days ago, and forgot how nice it is to watch em. So yes, if you were to get one, get one, it's the first best purchase I have ever made, I use it literally every day, I was using it all day today, too bad the battery died on me a few hours ago.
  8. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Video looks very very nice. I do recommend that you buy the 80G version if you'll be watching videos, battery live is great. I have the 30G version and the battery is not as I would like it to be. 6.5 hours in the 80G version must be great :D