TV Shows that cover up the Apple logo?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cooknn, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

There's only a couple of weekly shows that I like to watch and both of them use Apple products. "Less Than Perfect" uses the older model Cinema Displays, but the paste a tacky piece of paper with the company's logo over the Apple logo. The other night I was watching "Boston Legal" and they were using a Powerbook, but it had a piece of metal stuck to the back of the display over the Apple logo. On that show maybe the producers wouldn't think we'd notice - but with HDTV they can't get away with much.

Do they have to pay Apple to use their products :confused: If not, it doesn't make any sense to me, and really just shows me how out of touch these producers really are by taking the chance to alienate those who are a part of the pop cultural icon of the Apple brand.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'll bet it's as simple as Apple didn't request that it be shown. Some companies have threatened legal nastiness in the past if their logos have shown up in films/shows/videos they don't like, and Apple's legal people have a bit of a reputation for being jerks, so...

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well shows may not want to do free advertising so that could be one motivation

4. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

same thing happened on extreme makeover home edition. But with a sticky note... :rolleyes:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Power Books get the logo covered up a lot too - I've even seen it where its not even noticeable - they used a seemless cover.

Nothing really wrong with it, very few other pcs stand out enough to be recognizable.

D

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Extreme Makeover Home Edition is a Sears show.

Sears (or the show) may have a sponsorship deal with another HW manufacturer that would make the Apple logo a no-go on the show.

But this is also a show about Sears Merchandise... and Apple isn't on the list any more.

7. Porshuh944turbo macrumors 6502

Yeah, for a while it was all Apple products on movies and tv-shows, but now we are seeing many shows cover up not only Apple's logo but other company logo's as well. MTV is always covering up t-shirts and logos on their shows. I think it's just not wanting to give a way advertising without getting anything out of it. It could also be as another user suggested, that Apple and other companies have told the producers to remove the logo as they may not want their brand associated with the direction of the particular show..

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

Yes, I have seen this a lot too and think "How can they do this to such a wonderful computer? Now it looks like a regular PC laptop." To me, the Apple is obviously the number one way for people around the world to tell that it is an Apple and see how beautiful it is. To me the Apple on the back makes the notebook looks sharp. Whenever I see a mac on TV I always say something like, ":O They're using a powerbook!" lol Did I mention I love Apple? :rolleyes:

9. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Heya,

Here in the UK the logo is never really covered, that I've seen. Apples are used on loadsa programs, especially; sharp crime dramas, in which the detectives always have Powerbooks sitting on their office desks; and on home makeover shows. In particular, there's one on around 5 o'clock, and a Powerbook is used to show potential buyers videos of their houses. Dunno how that works, or whether they really actually use it, but yep...

andy.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

CSI and CSI Miami cover the logos on the laptops but not on the displays and desktops... go figure

11. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

"joey" and "law and order: svu" bot have stickers over the logo on PBs

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Now I have noticed that they show it on CSI: NY more than a couple of times. That one with the Grand Master DJ competion was very prominant.

13. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ive never seen them cover the logos... well not in the new ones at least.

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

I saw quite a number of apple products (from the new displays to powerbooks) in "will and grace" as well... mostly with the logo covered.

15. deral macrumors regular

deral

You know when they put duct tape on the Apple Logo? That always cringes me--mah gosh, what happens if there is some sticky residue left on the beautiful apple product--or worse, it becomes too hard to take off. oh the horror.

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I think "pay us biatch" sums it all up nicely. They should be thankful for the quality products they like so much. I bet it is corporate policy though, not the decision of the creative minds who compromise by covering up the logo.

Dell would bend over backwards for exposure like that.

Who says design is frivolous, Apple users aren't fooled.

17. iJoe macrumors member

When I watch Spooks (UK drama about MI5) there is an uncovered Apple product in almost every scene. Even the ones that look like PCs are running OSX(which surprised me a fair bit)

Edit: Oh, and a windoze laptop was thrown in the Thames at the end of the lastest episode.

18. Bendit macrumors regular

I would block the logos if I was making a show too.

Using a consumer product that is very recognizable (such as any apple products) detracts from the story and brings attention to the product. The powerbooks really stand out with their glowing Apple logo.

Many shows also block it just so they don't have to go through the motions of contacting Apple to make sure it's ok - saves alot of legal work (and money).

19. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I don't really watch TV, but I remember being at my parents' house and seeing a Powerbook on that Fox show 24.

Then last night, at the family gathering for Thanksgiving, my grandmother was watching Survivor. They had a 17 inch Powerbook and an iSight doing something or other.

The Apple logos weren't covered up on either on of them iirc.

20. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

haha, thats a riot! I caught that on Boston Legal as well.

21. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

They had a Powerbook on Friends, I think once with the logo covered up, but as the point of the story was the machine had a virus on it, an Apple logo would hardly have gone down very well.

22. mrdeep macrumors member

My school had a distance education program, and whenever someone answered a question in the real classroom, they would show them on the tv screens (and thus be recording it), so when I answered a question and had my powerbook open in front of me, about 2 seconds into my response, they put a black box over the apple logo. My friend sitting next to me pointed it out and I pushed my laptop to the left. Then they cut back to the professor.