TV tuner card for OS X

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by steeleclipse, Feb 18, 2004.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    Well is there??? i cant seem to find any os x compatible... would the ati cards work? i know the remote does

i know there is the eyetv and tvr and stuff like that, but i just want a basic tuner card and decent tuning software with basic pvr functions... any ideas???

also, i noticed that on the apple store site, you can get an svideo adapter that only works on a G5 (i didnt believe it would only work on a G5, but they swear up and down it wont work on my MDD G4) does anybody know of an inexpensive adapter for my G4????

Thanks guys :D
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I've successfully used a generic PCI card, with the Philips chipset. However, while the card works, it's a nightmare to find TV-viewing software to go with it. I tried a demo version of Televio (now called AlchemyTV), and that worked perfectly - except the company refused to sell me the full version!
  3. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    thats what i thought might be the case (card works, software hard to come by)

ati uses a philips tuner doesnt it???
  4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    So, can you or not use a pc tv card and use the televio/alchemyTV software with and get it to work? That's what I like to know! Tvcards for a pc a really cheap and work pretty good. I have bought one for my G3 B&W and it s*cked. Only could get black and white with a bad reception and no sound... It was a stick on card on a voodoo 3 vidcard, a macpaloma it was called.
  5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    A little expensive, and the name is kinda wierd, but they seem to be good cards (the only ones)...
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Ha! Watch TV in the dock! That would be really fun for about 30 seconds or so... but for $149 you could just buy a TV. But I guess if you want to record TV on your Mac, this is the ticket.
  7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Shame they don't have a firewire version for portable users like myself who would like to use it at home or in the office. Even if it was a larger version, I could stuff it into a corner, and run a longer FW cable to my PB.
  8. gregorypierce macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2002

What's the best version out there for a powerbook though? I want to bring in video into the PB from TV sources including games and the like and I have yet to find the best solution for a PB.
  9. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I've never heard of a Voodoo card but I did that on my B&W G3 with an ATI Xclaim VR card. (only works in 9 but i got 640x480 and sound. it ran through Apple Video Player.
  10. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    young, huh?