TV tuner for MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark2288, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I'm at college right now and the desire to catch some programming is growing. I know that with some windows computers you can buy a TV tuner and hook it up to watch TV on your computer.

i wanted to know if there was a TV tuner for the MBP and my college also provides basic channels for free with the standard analog wire hook-up type thing...(the usually white wire with one prong???) if i can use this instead of getting an antenna that would be awesome.

is it possible?

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

You are thinking of starting a new opensourced tv tuner app? Good on you man, I was hoping to see more competition to EyeTV in this arena ;)

4. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

Generik.... you lost me...

were you catching me on "i'm missing programming?"

if so...haha...very funny...lol :)

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

Oops!! Different kind of programming! No wonder for a while I was thinking it didn't make sense :D

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

As nutty as it sounds what I'd recommend is buying a cheap mini to go with the EyeTV tuner as well, Minis are so wonderful as a PVR I just don't know how to begin, plus you don't have to tetter your MBP to your desk whole day either ;)

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i ordered the eyeTV hybrid. can't say how it is yet. supposed to be on the way now.

10. gwimby macrumors member

mark2288-
    the eyetv is the defacto standard for mac tv viewing. def. the most supported product out there, if a bit pricey.
    a side benefit is the new 2.3 software that lets you interface with front row to control the tv viewing w/ your apple remote.

11. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

so i'm looking at the eyeTv hybrid. it looks like it will get the job done. anyone have any experience with elegato products?