tv tuner for my powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Peter9, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Peter9 macrumors member

I want to watch tv on my powerbook (1.5ghz, 15", osx 10.3.6). what is the best external tuner to use? EyeTV claims it can connect to gaming consoles, but with a 1.5 second delay. do any others allow this capability without any delay?

in other words, what is the best?

2. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

mytv2go?

I have had a look around and so far I have found one by eskape labs called mytv2go.

Is this tv card any good?

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

EyeTV works great, why would you care about the delay? (My guess is any such box has a delay as well). It will take input from any NTSC video source, or tune through coaxial RF. Does it need to be synchronized with your game machine for some reason?

5. Peter9 thread starter macrumors member

well if i were to hookup my playstation2 to the eyetv, they explain there would be a delay between my controller and the display

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I see, so you're trying to use your Mac as a television then? Well first of all, yes there will be a delay so you could not play games in real-time, and secondly it's not going to look all that great. The resolution is only 320x240. Reading small text might be difficult, for example. Maybe look into getting one of those small (~5") LCD panels with a video input, I think they're close to $100 now. So the summary of EyeTV is, for watching TV: YES, for playing games: NO.