TV tuner plays okay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seattlemac, Dec 2, 2006.

1. seattlemac macrumors member

seattlemac

I'm thinking about getting the 30" screen to go with new MacPro. And a tv tuner to watch cable on the screen, too. I'm trying to kill two birds (home entertainment and upgrade my Final Cut situation) with one beautiful stone.

Any suggestions for best options here?
    Does it work?
    Will it give a satisfying viewing experience?
    Tivo-like functionality available? What software?

Thanks for your help

2. reppans macrumors member

Search "eyetv" from the Apple store, you'll get a bunch of selections to choose from, and with a lot of user reviews. Do your research though, they all seem somewhat specific on what they are able to do... some analog, some digital, some cable capable (non-encoded), don't think any that do everything. Make sure you know how you will use it.

I just bought an Elgato Hybrid for my MBP, it gets both digital and analog, but is designed for over-the-air signals. I can get cable but only after it's gone through a cable box, so its basically like connecting a vcr between a cable box and a tv. The hybrid is also super portable, and will connect gaming systems. For me, a perfect travelling companion for the MBP and my kids.

I live 30 miles from NYC and the analog reception sucks, but digital, and especially HDTV (free over-the-air signals) is awesome.... I mean wow. I get about 20 digitial channels. The set-up is very antenna sensitive though (direction and amplification).

I personally would not use my MBP for a TV replacement... I see TV as a dispensable entertainment/luxury - the computer is a necessity. I think the added wear and tear of always using the computer as a TV, especially the very disk intensive recording/playback stuff, would not be worth risk of killing the computer.

3. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac

Thanks for the tips.
    I can appreciate keeping the two functions separate - entertainment and my work on the Mac Pro.

Sounds like a pain to use a set-top box... maybe complete integration is still a ways off.

4. reppans macrumors member

Not to discourage you from getting one of these things... it is by far one my best accessories for the MBP, I just just see it more as an occasion use item.

For example:
    - Having an extra TV for my bedroom when staying at a friends house.
    - Catching a critical show/sporting event live as it airs during office hours (I keep an extra 8$ radio shack antenna in my NYC office that gets everything, incl. HDTV). Picture quality is way better than a regular TV and includes live instant replay, and uses the standard MBP remote!
    - Full entertainment center for adults & kids while traveling.
    - Making a standard DVD of a must have show/movie (but needs a $60 extra software program called "Toast").
    - Still learning, mine's only 2 wks old :D

5. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac

No, not discouraging - I'll probably get it to try it out.
    And I'll be on my mac pro desktop with big screen, so a little less flexible than you on the road. I'll be dependent on local cable so I'll have to figure that out.
    But I think it sounds like a great option.

6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Look at the EyeTV hybrid. I'm thinking about getting one myself (I have an EyeTV 200 but it doesn't support digital :mad: )

7. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac

Does the Hybrid have all the features of the 250?
    Although the 250 doesn't appear to have HD, it looks like it's got some nifty software options. And maybe the Hybrid offers all that, too.

8. airkarol macrumors 6502