TV/Video viewing over Canopus ADVC 100

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by victor_patv, Jul 20, 2004.

1. victor_patv macrumors member

Jul 20, 2004
    Ontario Canada
    Hey all it's my first post and I hope this is in the right forum,

Here goes, I have a Canopus ADVC-100 and I was wondering if I could use that to watch tv over my lcd monitor (dorm rooms are kind of small so it'd be great if I could leave my cheap tv). iMovie can show whatever videois is being put into the canopus but it won't show it full screen.

Are there any apps, preferably low cost ones that can do this? Are there any issues with lag and how can a crummy NTSC broadcast be made to look as good as possible on a lcd monitor?(BenQ 17" VGA).

Proposed setup is coaxial(antennae or cable) to vcr, vcr to canopus, canopus through firewire to mac and then some program to put that video on the full screen.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks Patrick
  2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA

I think with iMovie you have to RECORD the DV stream., Meaning to watch tv, you are eating tons of drive space. I have the ADVC 100 and although it works with iMovie and FCE I do not know what else will read the input from firewire. Check for an idea.

But unless I am remembering funny, the Canopus records video, but does not just pass it thru.