Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Davilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
v1.3.0
+ dynamic TopShelf, displays recently added movies and tvshows
+ fix play/pause with libdsm
+ fix play/pause, jump to tvOS home and back to auto resume playing
+ fix un-shuffle crash
+ bump ffmpeg version
+ fix podnapisi.net subtitle search
+ vertical blank sync, force always and hide for iOS/tvOS
+ add setting for recently added to ignore file creation date, last added first in recently added list
+ add buffer and network settings
+ add samba timeout settings
+ update MrMC skin color theme
+ return of profiles/file manager

Reactions: macaximx

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Works great... best video player on IOS and tvOS by far.

What I especially like is the fact that the my same library I have spent so long creating the past several years with XBMC/Kodi (with with thumbnails , NFO etc.) just imports nicely into MrMC.

I don't know how others do it but what I do is use Kodi on my MacBook and use a temp folder that contains new movies. I then scrape them and, after any edits I need to do, I export the library as single files which creates the NFO, thumbnails etc. in the same folder as the movies. I then move these into appropriate folders on my server and then do a rescan library on all my other Kodi/MrMC devices. I setup these devices (eg. AppleTV MrMC) to scrape using local data therefore it reads in all these local NFO etc. without having to go to the Internet and scrape. I also get consistency with all my Kodi/MrMC players.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Works great... best video player on IOS and tvOS by far.

What I especially like is the fact that the my same library I have spent so long creating the past several years with XBMC/Kodi (with with thumbnails , NFO etc.) just imports nicely into MrMC.

I don't know how others do it but what I do is use Kodi on my MacBook and use a temp folder that contains new movies. I then scrape them and, after any edits I need to do, I export the library as single files which creates the NFO, thumbnails etc. in the same folder as the movies. I then move these into appropriate folders on my server and then do a rescan library on all my other Kodi/MrMC devices. I setup these devices (eg. AppleTV MrMC) to scrape using local data therefore it reads in all these local NFO etc. without having to go to the Internet and scrape. I also get consistency with all my Kodi/MrMC players.
I have been using MrMC to watch my DVR Recordings. Each show has it's own folder. Like say "Blue Bloods". In that folder you have each episode. I was testing for another App and I put in that folder a file called "folder.jpg" which is a thumbnail for the Show. This work pretty good in that now all of my folders have a nice picture. However, I wanted to change the "folder.jpg" to a different picture but it would not change. I even closed the App and restarted. But did not delete and re-add. You mention "rescan library". How do you do it in MrMC with Amber Skin. Would this change the thumbnail? Thanks.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yep, this works very well. Infuse can also pick up some of that information from the movie folder.
I don't know how others do it but what I do is use Kodi on my MacBook and use a temp folder that contains new movies. I then scrape them and, after any edits I need to do, I export the library as single files which creates the NFO, thumbnails etc. in the same folder as the movies. I then move these into appropriate folders on my server and then do a rescan library on all my other Kodi/MrMC devices.
Sounds a bit complicated. I have been using Mediaelch as scraper for years with great success. I just point it directly to the movie directories on my NAS. When I add a new movie, I simply refresh Mediaelch's list and load the metadata for the new movie, which it then stores directly into the movie folder on the NAS. Takes less then a minute if I don't have to edit the metadata manually (which is rare).

Last edited:

Scott Davilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
thumbnails get cached, so if you change them, you have to purge the thumbnail cache. see System -> Appearance -> Cached Images.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Yep, this works very well. Infuse can also pick up some of that information from the movie folder.
Sounds a bit complicated. I have been using Mediaelch as scraper for years with great success. I just point it directly to the movie directories on my NAS. When I add a new movie, I simply refresh Mediaelch's list and load the metadata for the new movie, which it then stores directly into the movie folder on the NAS. Takes less then a minute if I don't have to edit the metadata manually (which is rare).
Yes I have been doing this way for years so I get used to a way of doing which works. I'll try that mediaelch which does look like It may work better for me. Thanks.

As far as infuse picking it up, maybe it does but still has a long way to go.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

And then MrMC just automatically picks up the info from the NAS folder or is there a setting in MrMC I would need to enable? I'm trying to find out more about using Mediaelch since this is the first I'm hearing about it, but tutorials are pretty scarce.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
And then MrMC just automatically picks up the info from the NAS folder or is there a setting in MrMC I would need to enable? I'm trying to find out more about using Mediaelch since this is the first I'm hearing about it, but tutorials are pretty scarce.
When you set the content of a directory make sure the "Choose metadata provider" option is set to Local information only.

Reactions: fhall1

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
There is a looong thread about it on the Kodi forum:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=136333

It's quite easy to use. Just be careful to go into settings first to adjust everything for your setup. Most importantly, add the paths to your movie directories under "Global" and set the naming of the metadata files under "Movies" and "TV Shows" for your setup. You may want to remove the <baseFileName> part for artwork files like poster.jpg and fanart.jpg for best compatibility (assuming you store each movie in its own directory).

You should also select the elements you want to download on the main page (personally I only use the main NFO, Poster and Fanart, but depending on the Kodi/MrMC theme you are using the Banner, Logo and Clear Art images could "beautify" things further).

I don't know exactly how the latest version of Infuse pulls its metadata, but apparently it uses the NFO to identify the movie and also picks up poster.jpg (or perhaps it pulls the artwork from the link that MediaElch puts in the NFO). But it properly displays all movies that I have tagged using MediaElch.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have had a chance to use Mediaelch for a while now. It is a nice program but is a bit buggy, and crashes sometimes.

I am attempting to use it to clean up some of my tv series and have good success and can workaround most of the issues. I suppose using it to do movies instead of tv series produces better results because there are far less variables.

Reason I doing this is I got lazy using Plex for past several months and my OCD kicked in realized rhet and I don't like the idea of my files being messed up and disorganized (Plex database handles pretty much any crap you throw at it but I like organization). I prefer MrMC interface over Plex anyways.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have been using MrMC more and more and would like a better solution to the following.

1. I was using the List Option when I would see the recordings. Each Recording is in a folders for that show. Example: Blue Bloods. And when I watch the last episode available in the folder I would simply delete the folder then I would know I had another else to watch. I also notice the is a view not watched option which might be better then deleting if the files were also not in folders.

2. This week I put a .JPG file in each folder and I now have a nice ICON View. However, if I delete the folder I loose the .JPG File.

3. What I need is a "count" under each folder (or an ICON overlay) of the number of shows (not counting the .JPG) in the folder and maybe the number not watched.

Is there an option I am missing? If not, is there a better solution to what I am doing. I could go back to the List view and just delete the folders but I would prefer the ICON View. Other products use a count badge. Like email etc.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have had a chance to use Mediaelch for a while now. It is a nice program but is a bit buggy, and crashes sometimes.

I am attempting to use it to clean up some of my tv series and have good success and can workaround most of the issues. I suppose using it to do movies instead of tv series produces better results because there are far less variables.
I use it for both movies and TV shows and haven't really encountered many issues. I think the key for TV shows is to adopt a consistent folder structure (I use <show>/<season XX>/<show sYYeZZ title>, even if there is only a single season). One minor problem that I keep encountering is that scraping movies/shows in bulk sometimes doesn't work right, i.e. it doesn't download the metadata for all selected content so I have to check manually if they have all been populated. But not a big deal.
Reason I doing this is I got lazy using Plex for past several months and my OCD kicked in realized rhet and I don't like the idea of my files being messed up and disorganized (Plex database handles pretty much any crap you throw at it but I like organization). I prefer MrMC interface over Plex anyways.
The nice thing about storing the metadata in "standard" NFO format along with the video files is that a lot of different software can just pick it up and you don't have to rely on any single application's database.

Last edited:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
One minor problem that I keep encountering is that scraping movies/shows in bulk sometimes doesn't work right, i.e. it doesn't download the metadata for all selected content so I have to check manually if they have all been populated. But not a big deal.
I ran into same bug so I had to do one at a time in some cases.

RedDevils

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016
I have a issue, I have a NAS and I have folders named "kids" "series" "movies" my problem is that when I open folders like movies I get new folders with the films, but not thumbnails of the movie, but if I open the folder of the one movie I want to see it will show the thumbnail, is it any setting I can do so the thumbnails are showing when Iam opening the folders like movies or do I have to take the file with the movie out of its own folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.