iPad TWCable TV detects iPad2 Jailbreak!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TomiY1, Jul 6, 2011.

1. macrumors member

How ridiculous is this... Time Warner's iPad app actually detects a jailbreak and disables the app completely! wow... im shocked. (updated to v.2.0) Anyone else seeing this?

2. macrumors member

... i got email from them telling me to unjailbreak and they will be sending notice of my ipads ip...

3. TomiY1, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011

thread starter macrumors member

you gotta be kidding me...what does it matter? its perfectly legal.... are they that stupid?

4. macrumors 601

alust2013

5. Intell, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011

macrumors P6

Intell

The DCMA exemption states only iPod Touches and iPhones are allowed to legally be jailbroken. When the exemption was written, the iPad didn't yet exist. So, they could technically sue people who jailbreak their iPads.

6. macrumors member

"........................ so im going to get sued?!...

7. thread starter macrumors member

i dont quite get what jailbreaking has to do with their cable TV app...this is absolutely ridic....

8. macrumors 6502a

ignorant, TW wouldn't know with to do with any device made after 1989. how stupid is this. a jb doesn't allow any change in using their useless app. I guess they think pirated HBO flows over jb iPads. jeez.

9. macrumors 6502a

10. macrumors newbie

can we just not update to 2.0? I'm afraid to open the app

11. macrumors newbie

I know of no way to "fix" this, i have the same problem.

However this is caused only by the update to TW 2.0. Find an ipa of 1.0 and it works fine. I was lucky enough to still have mine saved

Edit: If anyone finds a fix (a cydia app that helps escape jailbreak detection?) that would be great, as the 2.0 app aside from the discrimination looks fantastic with expanded channels

12. thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone here confirm that the previous version of the TWCable TV app works with Jailbroken iPad2?

13. macrumors newbie

Damn

thank god i saw this thread before i opened the app. I think i'll delete the app for now till a fix is out

14. DS3
    macrumors 6502a

Isnt that a free app that just works with a subscription? What do they care...

15. macrumors member

Yes, previous version (1.0) working just fine with jailbroken iPad 2

16. macrumors 6502a

I've never understood this either.

All I can think of is perhaps its their fear of illegal downloading. Especially considering their history with the RIAA etc..

17. thread starter macrumors member

wowwwww... so get this...iTunes will not allow me to put v1.0 on my iPad2! It says i am not authorized to install it... wtf?

18. macrumors 68040

The app is tied to the account which was used to download it. Standard for the vast majority of App Store apps, if not all of them.

19. macrumors 6502a

There are other ways you could install, no? The beauties of JB.

20. macrumors 6502

LOL, I found this out just now too. I hope someone can find a fix for this :)

21. thread starter macrumors member

what other ways? =P do tell...

22. macrumors 6502

If someone can "crack" the ipa posted in this thread, (shouldn't be too hard actually) we can install it with appsync.

23. macrumors newbie

Strange. I just jail broke iPad 2 and my TW cable app seems to be working fine.

24. macrumors 6502a

What version of the app? If it's anything older than the version 2.0.0 that just came out today, it should work fine. It's version 2.0.0 that introduced the anti-jailbreak code.

25. macrumors 6502a

As for me... after updating to 2.0.0 and seeing the error, I successfully reverted to the previous version (by deleting the new version, restoring the 1.0 version that was placed in my trash, and syncing it onto my jailbroken iPad v1 in iOS 4.3.3.)

Now I can launch it and log in, but now I get this error instead: "The programming you have requested is only available when you are accessing this video service in your home, using a cable modem authorized by Time Warner Cable." (Which is frustrating to see, because of course I am using the same cable modem I've always been using, and this app has previously been working fine.)

I rebooted the cable modem and tried again, to no avail. I'm sure whatever "official" troubleshooting I try with TWC will just end up with them suggesting I update to the latest 2.0 version... which of course won't work, because I am jailbroken. And I don't want to give up the jailbreak, just for this app.

I am also forced to wonder right now, if the initial launch of the 2.0 version of this app on a jailbroken iPad somehow "reports" our IP address to Time Warner, which allows them to blacklist this iOS device's MAC address (or this cable modem,) until this account is logs in again properly, with the device in an unjailbroken state. Does that make sense? Could TWC be that vigilant and annoying here? If that's the case... folks... you really don't want to update/launch the 2.0 version.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and all, but it's difficult to be optimistic that jailbreak developers will be able to hack a workaround for this... seeing as it requires a TWC account with an authorized cable modem along with TV service to even be able to check out the app in the first place.

Ugh.