Tweaking Unreal Tournament 2003

Discussion in 'Games' started by mangoman, Jun 25, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

So I found this tidbit of info regarding tweaking UT2K3:

"Oh yeah, you don't need to turn the sound off to speed UT2k3 up. You just need to do the audio channel tweak; since macs don't have surround sound (in internal hardware), 32 channels is a bit excessive. Tweak this down to 8 in the config and you'll find things get a lot smoother, quickly. "

I have no idea where to go to do this. Anyone have info?

Thanks,

mangoman
    UT Whore

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm tired at 2 AM EST, but MacBandit (given all credit too) made a thread about this and it was also included in the long dead 'UT2K3 Demo Thread'.

I did it and got 2 FPS better, but I think my machine is messed up.

Hit the search buttom it was one of the last pages...

sorry, tierd.

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Credit to MACBANDIT:::::::

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Did I hear my name?

Thanks goes out the MrMacMan for the quick response to your question and thank you for giving credit though it's really not all that necessary. I just want to give wrapup on what to do and what I did do in the process of determining these changes.

The quick way to find the file you are looking to modify is to do a search for 'ut2003.ini' you will only have one result. Open it in textedit. Then in textedit do a search for the line or part of the line that you want to modify as I listed below.

Change the following line.

Channels=32

Change 32 to 8. I don't recommend going any lower as with even 4 players 8 channels will be used.

Also in the UT2003.ini file change the following line accordingly.

bPreloadAllSkins=false

change false to true

I also did extensive testing of cache sizes and any other setting that appeared that it would give a speed boost without a noticeable hit to quality. The results were that the only changes to give a appreciable improvement were the two changesI listed above. Enjoy.

5. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

God Bless Both of Ya's!

Cheers/Happy Thursday,

mangoman

6. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

i couldn't find such line in my ut2003.ini file.
    where should i add it?

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Don't add anything. It should already be there. Open the UT2003.ini file in textedit and then do a find for 'preload'. It should come up. If not you might want to delete the UT2003.ini file and restart UT2003 creating a new .ini file. Then go change the lines I listed previously.

If anyone needs to know how to change the screen resolution to fit a widescreen still I can let you know how to do that too.

8. macdong macrumors 6502

macdong

i am not kidding you, it's not there.
    i delete the old ini file then restart UT2003.
    but the new ini file still doesn't have that line.
    i've even used both BBEdit and TextEdit.
    but nope, it's not there.
    the channel line is there, though...

9. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Are you two using the final version? The tweaks I did were for the preview version. If you would like you could send me a copy of the final version .ini file if that's what you have and I'll go through it and see if there is anything I could suggest changing.

11. thanatos macrumors newbie

I can't find the preloadAllskins file either, but I did find someting else that seems to help a lot.

I changed the cachesizemegs to 64 from 32 got about 6fps more. really helped! Turning it up higher doesn't seem to help anymore... maybe on huge levels.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The preload option doesn't appear to be there. There are some other preload options but they appear to be on by default. I am currently working with Mango on setting changes I see that might benefit without a loss in detail. He has the full version I'm just giving him suggestions. When we have conclusive answers I'll be sure to post a detail thread on the what to do.

13. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

I also turned up the cache tonight to 64 and noticed a difference. (Did a fresh reinstall tonight first).

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Just a reminder, keep track of the changes and the amount of difference they make plus or minus.

15. thanatos macrumors newbie

Does anybody else have any idea to increase performance? I have noticed that different levels have huge performance differences. I really don't know why. Two really big levels and one of them I will get 30-40 fps and another I will get 20-30 fps. I don't understand. Some times i'll get more than that. Any one know why?

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If the level is an outdoor level it usually performs slower.

Just wait a little while longer and we'll hopefully have an update on what settings can be changed to give you a boost.

17. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Ohhh mah gawwwd...

Installed the OWC 1.4GHz card upgrade last night (took about ten minutes total). Woooooph. Feels like I just bought a new machine. Didn't see that dang spinning beach ball the rest of the night on the desktop. But get this: Maxed-out the video/audio settings in UT2K3 (which is funny since the Announcer says, "HOLY SH*T!" when you do it). Played a couple of smaller maps after doing that. Absolutely beautiful. Playability was really swell. Didn't have the energy to fire up the large forest/jungle maps with those maxed out settings, but I will tonight or tomorrow, hopefully. I can tell you this: I played that bigazz forest map (what's the name, Tokara, or something like that?) before I maxed out the video/audio. I could actually enjoy the level, even when the bot action got heavy.

Now I really wanna see what that Ti card can do... but first, let's do some line item tweaking, shall we?

Hook, line, and sinker,

mangoman

18. thanatos macrumors newbie

It seems that different maps have huge differences in performance. I can play one map and get a consistent 40fps-60fps on my tibook 1ghz, and I can play another and get 20-30fps dropping below 20 sometimes. The funny thing is that sometimes I get great fps on bigger maps and sometimes on small. Although the smaller maps usually run better there seems to be something else going on as well. I find it king of odd that there is such a difference in performance between maps. I mean 5fps difference would make since but 10-20fps is a huge deal. I just find it very odd.

19. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

K. If you've been bored enough to follow my 'saga' (oh, the drama!), you'll know that I had to swap my first defective OWC 1.4GHz card for another. Installed over the weekend. No mo' kernal panics. Dropped the Ti card in, too. Can play Tokara Forest with settings maxed out.

If you could see the beaming smile on my face as I achieve Godlike in Tokara Forest. Where's my Kleenex? I think I'm about to cry...

Hey, look, there's a whole sunny world outside! (exits for some Vitamin D)

20. job macrumors 68040

job

Is there any performance increase if you are playing with no bots (i.e. online or on a LAN?)

I would think that without bots, the frame rate might increase.

21. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Assuming the connection's a good one, you might be right. Problem is, I haven't played online just yet. Decided to kill the day climbing the qualification ladder.

22. job macrumors 68040

job

Wow. Not to go off topic here, but I decided to put the UT2k3 Linux demo on my fathers geological mapping machine (2.2Ghz, GeForce 4 Ti 4600, 1GB DDR RAM)

Wow.

Wow.

I've never seen such smooth framerates in a firefight before.

To heck with getting a Windoze box for games. I'll just play the Linux versions. I like the quote from the Linux Neverwinter Nights page:

The 1.12GB of NWN resource files for Linux are free to download. All you need is the CD key. Now if only there was some way to get 1.12GB of stuff from my Mac to my father's Linux box...

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

fileshare!

Or removable hard drive.

24. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

3 questions:

1. MacBandit; how's the tweaking going?

2. When are they going to release an update for Mac? They've had Windows and Linux updates. It really better bring speeeeeeed.

3. I've forgotton the third one. I'll post it when I remember.

AppleMatt

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Unless there has been a Win update in the last couple months that I don't know about the Mac Unreal Tournament is based on the latest version.

I have to get back in contact with Mango and see if we can compile the data into a useable list of information.