TWEEKING imac for gaming-HELP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by krazykat, Mar 7, 2007.

1. krazykat macrumors newbie

I'm ready to switch from the PC world to the MAC SIDE and want to secure the right iMac for this 56yr. old mom and her 2 teens. I am very concerned with the GRAPHICS CARD. It really S_ _ _ s!:eek: You just can't upgrade these babies.:mad:

I am sure it will be fine for WOW, but can I play Oblivian? Checked requirements and not really sure about Elder Scrolls.

Thought I would get the 17" save some $

RAM
    2GB

PROCESSOR
    core 2 dual (great) ok at 2.0 or will bumping to 2.16 help much for +75.00

HD
    160 (ok) but I may go to 250 for more storage for photos and U can never have too much storage space!

GRAPHICS CARD
    x1600 128/think this is the PRO \
    or will bumping this awful thing to x1600 256/I think this is the XL and not much dif. then?
    I know x1600 PRO it is equal to a Nividia GeForce 7300GT and x1600XL =
    7600GS, but PLEASE tell me WHY does Apple known for its graphics and cool design not put in a better card. Would it experience melt down-is that it? The 24" maxes out on 7300GT which isn't rated any better than the x1600XL.
    AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?:confused:

OK-done venting but just don't want to buy a crapola Dell again and too Lazy to build my own so with that said,:D

I will def. run Parallels and have the WIN XP PRO software - which means DX9 right? Even if someday I could install VISTA could I then get DX10 or is that a dif. card too? Does it really matter. I mean GGGGEEEEZZZZ technology is a pain to keep up with. I don't care to wait for a new Leopard OS cause I don't like to work out the bugs like in VISTA>ssssllllloooowwwwss the gaming I hear:( Now be kind, I have just learned a bit about a PC and may sound a bit dull witted here) Also sorry I'm on a PC and no spell checker options!OH NO:eek:

which configuration would be best for me. If I bump it all up I might as well go 20", but honestly $ is an issue.

and for all else there's master card:p If it wasn't MAXED out:D

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you're really looking for a Mac for gaming, I would recommend the Mac Pro, as you can upgrade the GPU to whatever you'd like as they come out. Makes it a lot more expandable in the future as game requirements go up.

I would also recommend you check out the gaming part of this forum, there are a lot of good reviews of people playing games on their Intel Macs, which may give you a good idea of what your Mac could or could not do.

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Well actually the card in the iMac is a Mobility Radeon X1600 clocked at 400/400. Same goes for the GeForce 7600GT, which is actually a GeForce Go 7600GT.

4. krazykat thread starter macrumors newbie

OH-I actually wasn't looking at the right cards! I just now realize these are integrated and not discrete. DUH!

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/03/08/gdc2007_intel_g965_integratedgraphics/

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2942

This helps, but dosen't make me feel much better as the graphics card still SUXs!

I can't afford a MAC PRO!:eek: