Tweetbot for iPad Hits The App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Popular iPhone Twitter client Tweetbot has finally arrived on the iPad, with a user interface instantly familiar to any current Tweetbot user. Designed for the Twitter power-user, Tweetbot packs a lot of punch into an intuitive, slick interface, with unique functionality like Smart Gestures which give quick access to a variety of features through double or triple-taps.

The Next Web and Business Insider have more in-depth reviews.

The app is $2.99 and is a separate purchase from the iPhone app, a fact some users may dislike, but Tweetbot co-developer Paul Haddad explained his thoughts behind the pricing strategy to Business Insider:
    [​IMG]

Also released today was Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone, bringing updated timeline, direct message, and reply views, as well as a number of other smaller changes. It's a solid upgrade that's free for current Tweetbot for iPhone users.

Tweetbot for iPad is available for $2.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone is available for $2.99 from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot for iPad Hits The App Store

2. macrumors 68000

Okay, I agree the iPhone app is great, but it feels kind of a ripoff even though its just $2.99.

Just make a universal app and sell it for $2.99.

3. macrumors 6502

I just wish there is a universal version. Sell it for $3.99. It feels wrong to have 2 separate apps. Oh well.

4. macrumors 68000

Absolutely love the iPhone app. Wish they made this universal. Anyone got this yet and want to comment on what it's like?

5. macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's great - it really is. You'll love it as much as the iPhone app. I know people are complaining it's not universal, but if you're on Twitter a lot, it's worth the $3.

6. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

At least they didn't call it "Tweetbot HD", something that always bugs me as iPad apps are lower resolution than iPhone.
    I have no problem with this pricing, they make very nice apps, well worth the money and used daily, and I wont hesitate to buy this, as soon as I get home to my iPad.

7. macrumors member

xFenixKnightx

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A406)

Sweet! Buying right when I get home.

8. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

1024x768

960x640

WAT

9. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:confused:
    iPhone 960x640
    iPad 1024x768

10. macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If it is as good as the iphone app it is worth another $3. But I just wish they could come up with a way to keep things in sync between the two (for example, read / unread, messages, etc).

11. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Tweetbot supports syncing through the Tweet Marker service.

12. macrumors 65816

Yeah, because people who own both an iPad and iPhone are obviously too poor to pay $4 for something.

And it certainly isn't for the "principle." The developer has to do extra work to make and maintain an iPad version.

13. macrumors 68020

How would making it universal and just bumping the price by a dollar (or keeping it the same price as the current iPhone app as dethmaShine suggests) cover their development costs for the iPad version?

Also, it's not like this is just a blown up version of the iPhone app. The folks at Tapbots actually seem to like putting out quality stuff, and if you want them to continue doing so, you can by simply purchasing the iPad app.

14. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You can prove anything with facts.
    ok, fine, looks lower res than iPhone.

15. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You are confusing resolution with pixel density. They are two different things. :D

16. macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I love Tweetbot on the iphone.
    I have used Tweetings HD on the ipad up until now so don't know if I will switch but I am very tempted!

17. macrumors 6502

Am I alone in thinking it's ugly? I tried to get away with the iPhone version but it reminded me of free forum skins from years back: a matter of personal preference, but a shame given the strong featureset.

18. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

Sheesh, skip your afternoon coffee. Solved your $3 problem. Quality apps cost money and this isn't that much money.

19. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I agree that a universal version is the way to go moving forward. Just increase the price to cover both the iPhone & iPad versions.

As for the developer's comments - I find it perversely amusing that people who will drop several hundred dollars on a device will then complain about spending $3 on quality software for it. Tapbots is an independent 2-man operation. They have to cover their development & push notification expenses somehow.

20. macrumors G4

*LTD*

Perfectly stated. We have no problem supporting Apple. So lets support quality developers, who help make the Apple ecosystem a reality.

21. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Why should the people that have one device subsidize the price for people that have both an iPhone and an iPad? :)

22. macrumors 68030

At the end of the day, $2.99 is a good price, especially since the company offers major upgrades for free (e.g., Tweetbot 2.0 for iPhone is free update to previous users) and app offers push notification service at no extra charge.

That said, the app feels like a port of iPhone version than something that is optimized for iPad experience. Left side panel on landscape orientation is absolutely and unnecessarily very wide. Aside from iPad version having both landscape and portrait orientations, there's nothing exclusive nor different.

23. macrumors 6502

I'm not saying bumping the price by a dollar. I'm saying, release this iPad app separately, but make this app a universal app that contains the iPhone version as well.

This would be the same price as both iPad and iPhone version currently combined.

24. macrumors 603

nfl46

Its the best Twitter app for the iPhone. I love it.

25. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:confused: So are you saying iPhone version $2.99, Universal version $5.99? That would just be odd. The same or more expensive for everyone. (Especially if you purchase the iPhone version first. aka Existing customers.)