Tweetbot for Mac Updated with New Media Timeline, Redesigned Tweet Details

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 30, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tapbots has released an update for Tweetbot on the Mac, adding several features that were introduced with the April update to the iOS version of the app, including a new media view and support for cover photos.

The media view, which can be accessed at the top of the timeline by typing Command + F, provides an in-line view of photos have videos that have been tweeted, with the Tweets themselves serving as captions to offer context to the images.

Tweet details, which offers retweet and favorite counts, has been redesigned as well, and the app has also received several other bug fixes and minor improvements.
    Tweetbot for Mac can be downloaded from the App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot for Mac Updated with New Media Timeline, Redesigned Tweet Details

2. macrumors 65816

So glad I bought this one night when I was drunk, I never visit the site anymore

3. macrumors newbie

Dharma Rascal

Error

The Media Timeline is accessible by typing command-option-M (and the default timeline view by typing command-option-T)...

4. macrumors 6502a

Tulani

One of the best apps available

5. macrumors 6502

Paying $20 to use Twitter. [​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

I have it for my iphone, but not for my iMac. Is it even worth getting?

7. macrumors regular

iThinkIt

Twitter for iPhone works just fine........

8. macrumors 68020

Well, at the risk of sounding like an apologist, the developers have pointed their finger squarely to Twitter, who imposed 100,000 maximum user tokens cap for the app.

So assuming average TweetBot for Mac users have just one account each (and I personally think average is closer to 2, and pirates bring the number down further), TapBots stands to make at most $1.7 million (since Apple takes 30% of each $20 sales) from the app.

9. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I still wonder what is the point of the media timeline. I never use it.

10. macrumors member

Ha. I bought it drunk too. You'd need to be at €17.99. Too bad I never use the Mac version - I enjoy Twitter best on Tweetbot for iPad.

----------

Instagram type people. Hipsters et al.

11. macrumors member

If Apple takes 30% like you say (I've not checked, you're probably right) then surely its at most $1.4 million?

12. macrumors 6502a

It is a nice Twitter-app for the iMac. However, I don't find the syncing between my iMac and iOS devices very good, sometimes it syncs, sometimes not. Very annoying as I bought the iMac version to have my timeline synced between all my devices. (Syncing between iOS devices works great BTW). I hope they finally fixed it in this new version.

13. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I tweet for personal and professional reasons. Given how much I tweet in a given week, the software has more than paid for itself. $20 for something I use many times daily is nothing.

14. macrumors 68020

Well, 100,000 * $20 = $2 million
    $2 million - 30% = $1.7 million

But my estimate is that Tapbots stands to make about $800,000 at the most (due to multiple user tokens per purchase and piracy).

I hope Tapbots is busy at work developing new apps (e.g., RSS reader) and updating existing apps to iPhone 5 screen instead (Calcbot, Convertbot, Pastebot, Weightbot).

15. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

$2 million x 70% = $1.4 million :D

16. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It isn't a typo, Command + F brings up the search bar where you can select the timeline you want to see. Command + Option + M is less quick.

17. macrumors 6502a

This was standard shareware pricing back in the day (a decade ago) and people didn't think of it much. App stores have really crushed pricing as well as expected pricing.

There's a special reason behind the Tweetbot price and it's basically Twitter's fault. (API limits)

18. macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I would never give a dime to Tapbots again. The company has pretty much abandoned its IOS apps. The last update for weightbot was in 2010 and the website says IOS4 ready.

19. macrumors 6502

20. mw360, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

macrumors 6502a

mw360

You sound like the kind of person who'd begrudge giving a dime to anybody. What kind of updates are you expecting to a $2 weighing app? Are there new SI units that need to be urgently incorporated? Do you still get any value from many other $2 purchases you made 4 years ago? Developers must have their heads in their hands these days. Not only have their products been devalued to the level of pennies, but some users seem to expect free lifetime support and updates. If the app wasn't worth $2 when you bought it you should have complained back then.

21. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

What does this App do that makes it worth $20?

22. macrumors member

Steeley

Not strictly exclusive but it makes it easy to mute keywords and hashtags so that twitter is bearable at certain times.

It also does iCloud sync so that I never lose my place no matter what ios device I switch to.

Those were my big draw cards.

23. macrumors 6502a

I think it is very personal whether the functionality is worth $20.

It is a very nice Twitter client with a lot of functionality.

However, syncing (Tweetmark and iCloud) doesn't work reliable for me. If I had known this before I don't think I would have bought this app. I hope they fixed it in the latest version, as this is a problem since the beta.

24. macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Oh really? So now I should pity developers because of the Apple Store System? Every time a resolution change is required, I should pay $2 more? Get a grip. If the developer wants to charge me .99 cents to upgrade every 4 years, I would gladly pay it but abandoning projects is a bad sign to me. I bought it in 2010 and hardly got 2 years out of it. Yeah, I don't like the ****** small screen look. I don't see other devs crying like you are.

25. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

$2,000,000 - $2,000,000*30% = $2,000,000*70% = $1,400,000

right?
    :D