Twelve South Introduces Transparent 'GhostStand' for All MacBook Models

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twelve South, the Apple accessory company behind the popular BookBook series of cases and a number of different stands, today introduced GhostStand, a new transparent stand designed to elevate any Mac notebook model.
    [​IMG]
    The top and bottom edges of the stand include double-inlaid brushed metal rails lined with silicone to grip the user's notebook and protect the desk surface.

Twelve South touts that GhostStand is one of the lowest-priced MacBook stands available, priced at $34.99. The GhostStand can be ordered via Twelve South's site or through the online Apple Store.

Article Link: Twelve South Introduces Transparent 'GhostStand' for All MacBook Models

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's quite nice. TwelveSouth puts out some quality and useful products for sure. I love their silly backpacks.

3. macrumors regular

dweezle3

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

6. macrumors 68020

applesith

Just don't get any fingerprints, smudges or dust on it.

7. macrumors 6502

Yeah, very different designs aren't they? I still like the notebook and tablet stands that mimic the iMac stand, but I can respect TwelveSouth's departure from that. However, it does't feel very Mac-specific in my opinion, which is fine.

8. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I agree, still using it for 3+ years and I can clean the aluminium and looks like new.

not sure with this clear transparent plastic, would get yellowed after a while probably.

9. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

How sturdy is it? It's so inexpensive that one would expect something 'cheap' and rickety.

10. macrumors member

MLMcMillion

I purchased one of the more expensive Hi-Rises for MacBook and it was cheap and rickety.

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Ugh. Seemed to good to be true :(

13. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

14. macrumors regular

I wish they'd make a transparent bookArc for the mbp. I might consider upgrading mine.

15. macrumors 68040

One of the biggest issues I see with 12 South's laptop stands is that they don't have a little lip at the front edge like the Rain Stand does. I know the 12 South's products have a grippy texture on the arms, but I think I'd feel more secure with having a barrier to keep it from sliding off.

16. macrumors 68030

17. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

It's constructed of lucite. Lucite isn't plastic. It's a dense and substantial material, which you would know if you've ever handled any lucite paperweights.

Twelve South makes some fine quality products, I have their Book Book for iPhone, iPad, and MacBook

18. macrumors 68040

Just got the one that rotates....PERFECT and not much more than 12's hunk of lucite.

19. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Not sure if it's made of the same stuff, but my original Griffin iCurve still looks fantastic after many years of use. A little scuffed up in some bits, but clear as the day I bought it.

Maybe I'm just too nostalgic, but the Ghoststand brings back find memories of my G4 Cube and its acrylic Apple Cinema Display. I'll probably end up getting one.

20. webworks415, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

macrumors 6502

I recently switched from a BookArc to an mStand as I just bought a retina MBP.....couldn't be happier. I usually like TwelveSouth's design but this just looks like 2 plastic pieces together. Is it at least made of glass?

Edit: OK I read that it is lucite...I would still prefer glass. Just not for me.

21. macrumors regular

I'm glad I still have my Griffin iCurve. Not sure why they discontinued that. It's not very portable, but then again neither are the desks you'd be always using it with.

My favorite thing about it is that it provides the most "overbite", so that I have a little bit of extra space for moving my mouse pad further back (so my hand goes a little bit underneath the laptop when I move to the top of the mousepad).

Not sure what it's made out of, but mine's still pretty clear. Can't see any yellow.

22. Acerone, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

macrumors regular

Acerone

23. macrumors 6502

fpsBeaTt

It'd ad a particular aesthetic that could be desirable to some, but other than that, it seems to be surpassed by other products in the same category (notably their hi-rise, which I'm very pleased with).

24. macrumors 68040

25. macrumors 6502