Twelve South Releases Adjustable HiRise Stand for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twelve South today unveiled a new adjustable pedestal stand designed to work with both Apple's iPhone 5 and the iPad mini. Made from brushed metal to match other Apple/Mac accessories, the HiRise is designed to work with a Lightning cable and nearly any iPhone or iPad mini case.

[​IMG]
    According to Twelve South, the stand works with a wide variety of popular cases, from Otterbox to Speck to the company's own BookBook. The rear support on the HiRise can slide back and forth and multiple height clips for the Lightning cable allow it to accommodate the majority of cases. With standard docks and stands, device cases often have to be removed.

The HiRise stand can be purchased from the Twelve South website for $34.99.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases Adjustable HiRise Stand for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini

2. macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I want it. :D

3. macrumors member

Ordered. Not a bad price either.

4. macrumors 6502a

That is 1 sexy stand.... Would love it if there was a "dual" version like the XtremeMac docks.

5. pachecorigo, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 6502a

I love Twelve South stuff. :p Their gear looks like it's designed by Apple themselves, unlike most other stuff on the Apple peripheral market.

7. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I won't comment on the price, but I will say it looks sweet with an iPad Mini!

[​IMG]

8. macrumors 6502

Exactly because with Apple's iphone docks you had to assemble them for half an hour and have special screw drivers at hand. Oh boy, what a great product that is! So Apple like.

9. macrumors 601

Icaras

You make a good point that having to supply your own lightning cable does jack up the overall price. However the dock you linked screams cheap all over it. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $5 for that.

I agree. It looked nice until I saw the video. The assembly part with screws is a buzz kill. I think I'll stick with my pre-order of Belkin's MIXIT ChargeSync dock in green color which requires no assembly, includes a built in lightning cable, and has a great minimalist looking design in my opinion.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8J045-Belkin/p/P-F8J045

10. macrumors 6502

cheesyappleuser

I would get one of these things, they look awesome, but this is at a ridiculous price IMO.
    You have to assemble it yourself, you need to get a Lightning cable at hand, it doesn't have any technology whatsoever.

I'd buy it for $20 because of the looks. But it doesn't deserve the staggering $35 price tag.

11. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Looks very nice, but $35 and BYOLC ridiculous. $15-20 should be their real price point.

12. macrumors member

13. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Quite recently, (as a result of my attention having been drawn to this company's products on this very forum), I bought some of the Twelve South BookBook cases for my MBA and my iPad mini; I must say that they look gorgeous, are solidly constructed, and yes, are also portable.

Irrespective of price, I'm a big fan of good design, elegance, use of high quality materials, and the idea that form and function can combine in one elegant product. Twelve South manages that; this looks lovely, I must say.

14. ThunderSkunk, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Would you make one of these for $20? If so, I may have a job for you. ...because if I went downstairs to our machine shop and told them to make me 1000 of these, they'd cost over $100 a piece just to produce, and that's before marketing & advertising costs.

If $35 is exorbitant, but $20 is acceptable, you're arguing over $15. You blow more than that rounding off lunch tips in a week. Suck it up.

...If they set msrp at $20 you'd just complain it should have been $10. But it's understandable. To people who don't value craftsmanship & manufacturing, and have been told for a couple generations that such work is beneath them, nothing is worth anything, and few have any idea what it actually takes to build a product and bring it to market anymore. Everything should just be free.

15. macrumors 6502

So true. So many people fail to realize the company making them has to make a profit or it's not worth their time. So easy to look at the item and judge it based solely on the size, amount of pieces and material and just say "what, 35 for couple pieces of metal!? Crazy!" But then you take a real-world look at it and realize shipping, manufacturing, advertising, returns, marketing, production... it's overwhelming... for couple pieces of metal.

16. macrumors 6502

I really don't get the elitism of some people here, what may be a value for you is cost prohibitive for someone else. There really isn't any need for go be critical of people who feel its too much for what it offers by saying its "not much money".

Anyways, if this can fit a life proof case I'm sold, I'd just use it for work where I already have a lighting cable connected to my computer 24/7 to charge my phone so the lack of a built in cable doesn't impact my decision.

17. macrumors 6502

It's insane that Apple doesn't make something like that, a dock that is actually high quality and works. They really dropped the ball by not having this and leaving it in fumbling hands of 3rd party developers.

I want a dock at least as elegant/small and capable/fully featured as the iphone 4/4S dock that I use nightly. That could have been done easily in my opinion. They could improve it even, by just routing the speaker sound passively through the dock, and allowing the headphone jack to include mic input (which is not a feature of the 4/4S dock, but should be -- it works great next to a stereo but not with a headset or retro style phone accessory).

18. macrumors 603

Carlanga

1) They are 3 pieces of square metal and 3 pieces of plastic. Their shape is not unusual.
    2) They are made in CHINA which makes cost REALLY go down.
    3) To make them it probably costs them ~$6 including packaging.
    4) 35-20=15. Which you say it's not a lot, but in actuality is 42% less which is A LOT.
    5) Impossible your machinists will charge at cost $100 for these small metal parts.
    5a) They are not making 1,000 but probably 250,000 of them at least. See how price and production cost can come down ;)

19. macrumors 603

Aside from the price, this actually looks extremely well made. I actually enjoyed watching put-it-together video. A large amount of thought went into this one, that's for sure.

Actually, I just ordered one. :D

20. macrumors 68030

It can cope with a case? Well that puts it vastly ages of most Lightning docks so far.

21. macrumors 603

I leave my earphones plugged into my iPhone 5 pretty much at all times, so that dock would be useless to me. And not to mention my phone is in a case, so that dock is still useless to me.

22. macrumors 603

troop231

23. macrumors 6502

I guess I'm the kind of person that would prefer buying something that costs me $35, looks nice and will last ages: vs buying something that will cost me $5 and either last a month, or burn my house down, and it looks dreadful.

24. macrumors 68020

You lost me at ebay...

----------

Or kill you...

25. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Too right. The current examples in China make it a no-brainer now.