Twenty point Garbage mattes in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by silverback66, Oct 28, 2005.

1. silverback66 macrumors regular

Does anyone know where I can find a filter like this or could anyone tell me how I might build one in FCP? I'm trying to create a unique look for the film I'm working on but eight points just isn't enough to do what I want to do. Thanks!

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What look are you trying to achieve, there might be other ways to do this, I mean ar you trying to make some sort of shape mask ?

3. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

If I had some other software I'm sure there'd be an easier way to do this, but basically I have some footage where the foreground elements are substantially darker than the background and I need to balance things out. I tried using the eight point garbage mask and the results are decent, but only with significant feathering or the edges. I was hoping there'd be a way to have mre points within FCP so I could reduce the feathering and be more precise with the matte.

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've never tried this, but I think you can get a lot more precise (multiple point, bezier handled) garbage mattes in Motion. You can add more control points by holding down the Option key according to the book.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It might get confusing as hell, but you try place multiple filters (including mattes) on the same clip. Or try layering the clip on multiple video tracks and using multiple mattes. Sounds kinda messy though.

Can you post a still frame of the footage you are working with? Might help us w/ideas on how to help.

Lethal

6. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Does any one know how to make a garbage matte follow an object?

7. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay I go it working how I wanted. I used an 8 point on the body and a four point on the head. Basically I tightened the matte up so the feathering basically comes off as a semi halo-esque lighting effect. Then I warmed it up by 5% with Magic bullet.

And carpe to answer your question, the best way is to keyframe it...in fact I think thats the only way. Several of the shots I am working on involved tracking mattes. It took awhile to keyframe everything. but it was worth it. the shots came out great!

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

As silverback66 mentioned you gotta use keyframes. Which means you do it by hand. Have fun :D

Lethal

9. carpe diem macrumors 6502

10. silverback66 thread starter macrumors regular

Attack it like a scultor. Start with broad mattes and slowly cut away and refine them until it's perfect.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

you have to set a key frame every frame to move it.
    after effects is better suited for this.

12. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

you should most deffenitely use AE, shake, combustion, or even motion if you want to track frames (rotoscope). If you yourself is shooting the footage and you want to track an object or something not to complex try making a dot or using diff color tape on it than the object itself so you can then motion track it letting the program try to follow and track it.