Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
We do - you can email custom@twigcase.com. Helps to include an example of your desired art. We like customs and spend a bit of time to make sure they are the nicest out there :)

Nice! Was reading that you were a Luthier. Before my car wreck 8 years ago, I was one of maybe a couple of hundred in the entire country that specialize in 18th & 19th Century Period reproductions by hand. Chippendale, Queen Ann Boulle, Rococo and also Art Deco, 20th Century but very swank. I also made Violins and Guitars too.;)

Here is a shot of my half finished hanging Tool Cabinet at the time (2003) and some other reproductions by hand the way it was done 250 years ago.

Picture-002.jpg

Amoire.jpg

003.jpg

015.jpg

Last edited:

novastar76

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
Creative Use of Technology wooden cases

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone have experience with wooden iphone cases ? I really like the natural look of these wooden cases in combination with the Iphone. But im not sure if they are strong enough, i think they are more decorative then strong.
I like the designs of this shop

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CreativeUseofTech?section_id=12392007

il_570xN.388084605_n86l.jpg

Anyone experience with this shop ?

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone have experience with wooden iphone cases ? I really like the natural look of these wooden cases in combination with the Iphone. But im not sure if they are strong enough, i think they are more decorative then strong.
I like the designs of this shop

http://www.etsy.com/shop/CreativeUseofTech?section_id=12392007

Anyone experience with this shop ?

The Twig Case was a response to wood and bamboo cases that broke after a few days under normal use. This shop is using China-made cases, like most every maker of wood and bamboo cases.

Wood cases break? Yep.

Twig Cases are made in Minnesota in the USA, and they're FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certified & Rainforest Alliance certified, and they're the only ones in the world that are. That means our trees that our paper is made from, and our bamboo are from documented and monitored well-mangaged forests, harvested in a responsible manner. We're the only one.

If you don't care about sustainability or where your accessories are made, or even the general fit and finish of your case (as our exclusive Richlite paper material is far more consistent than wood or other "plant fiber composites" in use and in machining), by all means, hit eBay and grab a 5 dollar wood or bamboo case. You'll get what you pay for.

Also, the discount code 'bamboozled' will get you 20% off a Twig Case through March 15th. So, you can get the best, most durable case made from natural materials for less money than ever. :cool:

I hope that answers your question that you posted in the Twig vs Grove thread. :D

EDIT: Brother Easu - that toolchest (and the rest) is beautiful!

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Thank you Jon! I had a feeling you would appreciate them.;)

As a wood worker, naturally I prefer wood. However, I will be buying a TWIG case because in this instance (for a phone) a laminate/veneer composite will be 10 times stronger than the wood and 50 times more stable.

Primarily I will buy a Twig case because it is constructed in a fashion that is Eco Conscious and Friendly towards the planet. I think it is all of our responsibilities to protect our planet and our natural resources. (Yes, I'm a Tree Hugger!)

As a wood worker for many years I got a chance to work with the rarest and most beautiful woods from across the globe. Many exotic trees such as Brazilian Kingwood, Ebony, Rosewood all take about 600-800 years before they reach maturity.

Jon, I applaud you for leading by example and doing the right thing for our planet.

Cam;)

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
I prefer twig case, the design is classic and fantastic, i love it so much, and the grove is also good, maybe you can choose both for the trouble :D

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Hi, mysterydate..

Does Twig have anything I can put in place of the power button cover part of the case, that broke?

Spat412

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Tried the twig case for about six months now and sad to say won't be buying another one
First one - bamboo split when I dropped it on tiled floor from about one metre up. Not usable as the case no longer fit around the phone properly. At this point I already had a couple of issues - the bamboo is actually pretty slippery so prone to droppage anyways, and you can't fit any third party headphones into the headphone jack without taking the bottom half of the case off
Decided to give it another go. Bought another case (albeit at half price. They still asked me to send back the original so they could have a look at it and didn't offer to refund me the shipping. Not cheap) and then started to find that my iPhones lock button wasn't working. I think because of the design of the case you end up pressing down on half of the lock button too much and so it causes wear on the button eventually resulting in it not working.

In conclusion, beautiful cases but not worth it for the price - $69 us plus shipping for mine.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Tried the twig case for about six months now and sad to say won't be buying another one
First one - bamboo split when I dropped it on tiled floor from about one metre up. Not usable as the case no longer fit around the phone properly. At this point I already had a couple of issues - the bamboo is actually pretty slippery so prone to droppage anyways, and you can't fit any third party headphones into the headphone jack without taking the bottom half of the case off
Decided to give it another go. Bought another case (albeit at half price. They still asked me to send back the original so they could have a look at it and didn't offer to refund me the shipping. Not cheap) and then started to find that my iPhones lock button wasn't working. I think because of the design of the case you end up pressing down on half of the lock button too much and so it causes wear on the button eventually resulting in it not working.

In conclusion, beautiful cases but not worth it for the price - $69 us plus shipping for mine.

Sorry about your experience with our paper and bamboo case. As you've only made one post here, I'm guessing you felt it very important to share your unhappiness. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure of any case manufacturer being excited about the user dropping their product, but you've accurately described our warranty. 50% off a replacement case in the event of a drop, within six months. We do like to see the cases returned, as we inspect them thoroughly in order to make them better.

As far as the bamboo being slippery, I think it depends on the person. We've heard "slippery" only a few times as a reason for return or exchange. Our bamboo case is really a bamboo veneer fused to our paper composite, and that composite has a lot of texture. People with dry hands, super long fingernails, or wearers of Mickey Mouse gloves may also have difficulties.

Due to the actual iPhone 5 being not much thicker than the headphone jack, we can't make it fit every 3rd party headphone plug. We have the largest headphone hole of any wood/bamboo case, and we fully cover the sides of the case. Any design has compromises. We're musicians, so a usable jack is important, but not at the expense of protection.

Our cases have no effect on lock buttons or volume buttons at all. We've never had anyone report that issue. We have a number of iPhone "mules" here, that have been in every one of our thousands of cases to go out the door. We test fit, feel, and button operation. No issues in two years.

In fact, the lock button issue is pretty well known iPhone issue, which Google will show. We have very little to do with Apple's quality control :)

All of this info is in our FAQ page, and we're always happy to answer questions about our case. We are also the first to say that a Twig Case is not for everyone. We're happy that you gave us a try, and we're sad to see you disappointed - I'm certain that a solid wood or solid bamboo case would leave you even more so!

YouAreSwell at checkout will get anyone 20% off a Twig Case this year. We're pretty sure that our 30 day money back return policy, our provable eco-friendlyness, our swell designs, our our attention to handmade detail, and our multipurpose package that turns into a stand is worth every cent.

Plus, it saves your $600+ iPhone when you drop it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.