Twilight Princess = Unusually Good Story Telling for Nintendo

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Nov 19, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

For those TP princess fans out there, so far (about 5 hours in, not even on the first dungeon, though super close), I am super imperssed the quality of the storying telling in this latest Zelda entry.

In particular, Midna your helper friend. Her facial expression are hilarious!

Good job Big N.

2. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Definitely. I love Midna's character... and all of the other characters in the game have been given very intricate personalities. The atmosphere and artistic style is fantastic as well. So far, nothing too exciting has happened plot-wise, but I expect that to change as soon as the third dungeon is over.

I'm currently 9:30 into the game and somewhere between the second and third dungeon. I've loved every minute of it so far.:D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Does it clock your gametime? I always missed that in a Zelda game, instead clocking the number of times you died.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

yes it does. It notes the date and time you last saved, and how long you've been playing. The Wii Message board also shows how long you been playing each game/channel.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Very much looking forward to playing TP to see if it really is the 'adult' Zelda. Being a huge RPG fan, I guess my natural home will be the PS3 or 360 (or PC, if I was loaded enough), but from what I've heard and seen of TP it has quite a dark, adult feel to it (especially one cinematic I saw in a review...wow!). Thing is, I can't justify buying a Wii at the moment on the basis of one game, as much as I really want to.

Maybe Nintendo has realised that those who started playing Zelda on the NES/Snes all those years ago have become adults and wanted a game to reflect that?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Or maybe they want to get a new generation of players that aren't allowed/can't afford the other systems? Ie. Windwaker. I'm all for a company growing up with players, but to also bring in new, young players like I was with the NES.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Who knows. It's a tough thing to do: bring in new players and maintain your older fanbase at the same time. I hope Nintendo does it this time as the Wii looks like it could be fantastic.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Loving TP

I have about 7 hours logged, I am at the second town about to get into the 2nd dungeon. I love the story, art direction and gameplay, it's a blast. The first dungeon was amazingly fun, and the dungeon boss was a very cleverly designed fight, if not a little short.

I would have played TP much more, but my girlfriend and I played wii sports for 3 hours. She hadn't played video games since the nes days, and she absolutely loves it. She spent like an hour creating her mii, making sure it looked just like her.

The Wii is a fantastic machine, and I can't wait to for thanksgiving at my mothers where I will hook it up and have all my family try it out.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am about 2 hours in (had to go to bed although I wanted to keep playing) and I am still not quite sold yet. It's pretty fun, feels like OoT with better graphics. The stupid fishing took me a long time to do..its a little too touchy. I need to muck around with the sensitivity of the Wiimote as aiming feels unnatural and erratic. And god I hope Nintendo gets those damn component cables out soon because 480i+50"HDTV=:( It isn;t unplayable by any means but it a bit more clarity would make me mucho happy.

But...the most annoying thing...ever...that damn speaker in the Wiimote :mad: For Wiisports its not too bad, works with the tennis sound etc. However, in Zelda is just sounds plain horrible. When a passage opens or whatever and you get that little dingle to know you have found a secret. It sounds like its comming from a tin can inside a cave. I am thinking about muting it.

Epona is fun to ride though, and swordfighting with the wiimote is really good especially the nunchuk swing. The oil in the lantern is an interesting change which is gonna piss me off to no end but adds some urgency to dungeon crawling. Well, i think I will go play it for a few hours :D

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A simple question for those with the wii Zelda though.

At the end of the day - would the game not be just as good with a conventional controller.

As the only game Im getting a wii for - I'm still in two minds, should I not just get the cube version ? The only 'real' (bar widescreen) difference between the two is the controller.

So do you think your gaming experience of the game has benefited because of the controller, or do you find in some ways it actually detracts you from just getting on and enjoying the game.

Thanks.

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Good question, and one which could be asked about every game that comes out for the Wii. Obviously games like Wii Sports will benefit enormously from the new controller, but will it extend beyond that type of sports/action game? I still feel, although the current Wii controller may add immensely to some games, it may be another generation until motion-sensing is really perfected for most types of games - just like controller implications of 3D games took a while to get just right (and are still screwed up from time to time).

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The reason I asked specifically about this game - is as I explained, its the only thing I'm getting a wii for (until mario comes out - but we all know nintendo Q1 07, can easily become Q1, 08)

If the remote adds little to the game, in fact feels maybe tacked on - i'll keep my cube pre-order and save myself €330 on a wii & Zelda ...

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No way. I couldn't imagine this with a GC controller.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Cool that's the kind of thing I want to hear.

Can you tell me why ?

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm one hour into the game.....Its not sticking to me...The long arse text conversations gets annoying. Anybody having a speaker problem with the remote?

Bless

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

In general I find the remote and nunchuck allows for a more relaxed posture than a normal controller. Nunchuck on left resting on leg/couch, remote on right. Very minimal movement needed to move the cursor around the screen.

The rumble feels better than other previous controllers I've used, there's a nice subtle motion when you're riding Epona. The speaker is good if a little loud by default.

Then there's the ol' pointer which is used for more than I thought it would be (still not sure what calling that bird is about.)

18. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

The first hour is quite annoying, getting that damn cat, took me a while to figure it out. Soon after that the game really gets going, I love twilight link and Medina.

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Me too, i was trying at first to chase it with a chicken over my head because i couldn't figure out how to get the fishing rod... once i did it was smooth sailing though ;)

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well MRU, I think this game would work with a controller fine. It is pretty much the same controls are OoT and Wind Waker so if those worked for you then there is no reason TP shouldn't. I am a little bummed about it actually. You just kinda limply wiggle the wiimote to swing your sword and shake the nunchuk to do a spin-slash (which works nicely though). I hardly feel like im "in the game" or anything. It isn't bad for using the slingshot but since the game has lock-on anyway, how often do you need to be dead-on right away? The c-stick would work fine.

I am happy with the Wii but it seems to be that Zelda is clearly a controller game that was ported over to a Wiimote.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks sikkinixx.

This is what I suspected - heavy decision to be made.

Which do I cancel ? Wii pre-order or Zelda on the cube :eek:

22. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Go ahead and get the Wii. You know you're going to end up getting one anyway. Why not go ahead and get it now since you've already pre-ordered.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah this is true - I say to myself I'm saving $ but in reality - i'm only going to spend it later so ... mmmmmm

Cant believe this one purchasing decision has left me swinging back and forth more than any other console purchase ever. And I've had practically them all :rolleyes:

I guess I fear being dissapointed more by the wii than any other console I've bought (hence my other thread poll - by seeing other reactions and knowing their previous posts i'm anaylsing which of those catagories I'd fall into ;) )

24. mkaake macrumors 65816

I was reading through several TP reviews today, and most of them mentioned that they couldn't imagine going back to the cube version after using the Wii version. Take it for what you will...

And yeah, I've felt the same way at times too... the Wii has more potential to be a flop than any other console in recent history. On the flip side, it has the potential to be a bigger hit than any other console in recent history. Sounds a lot like the debates that were going on when the DS came out... and it took what? A good year or two before the games caught up to the machine?

We'll see, we'll see. But from what I'm hearing, people are really enjoying the games that are out there right now. So I figure, if the launch games are at least passable if not outstanding, there's a good chance it'll only get better from here.

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

You won't be disappointed with a Wii :) its pretty cool. The lack (and price) of VC sucks the big one though. $10USD for Mario 64? Pfft...$8USD for Zelda for NES?! pffft , im sure this will really stop ROMs :rolleyes:

I can't see Wii being my #1 most played but for some games it will be the only way to go. Again, I don't think Zelda is a :eek: :eek: :eek: for Wii just because of the controller. It's great fun but I reckon it woud be just as fun with a regular controller.