Twin Cities turning deaf ear to political talk radio shows

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 27, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Guess what kids? We're winning. :) Check these out:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5569938.html

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Liberal_talk_radio_trends_ahead_of_Limbaugh_among_2554_i_0711.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/27/AR2005042702181.html

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/08/10/214541.php

I love it. The chickens continue to come home to roost. True conservatives should be happy about this. Maybe they'll get their party back. And hopefully fools like Limbaugh will finally get it.

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

C'mon guys. This deserves some replies-this is really good news. Especially the last link.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Don't be too quick to rejoice. 3 reasons:

1. A significant drop after an election year is not surprising at all. Especially last year's election which saw the highest-ever voter turnout. Last year's talk radio rating numbers were abnormally high, even for an election year.

2. Rush Limbaugh more than triples his next-closest competition in nearly every radio market. The cited stats for the Florida markets are not real ratings, but projections.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050720/law119.html?.v=8

3. Rush started a podcasting 2 months ago about the same time iTMS released their podcasts. He gets about 400,000 hours downloaded daily. The high rankers on iTMS get about 100,000 hours daily. He's the biggest name in talk radio AND podcasting. Around 133,000 people everyday download his podcasts, so a drop in ratings may have something to do with this fact.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

However, if this trend continues, it could be the end for the neocons in 2006. I doubt that Joe Average in the US is downloading podcasts. C'mon- THAT big a percentage stopped listening to his radio show and are now downloading his podcasts? I mean, the numbers are showing a pretty big drop. Meanwhile, Air America is gaining in Florida. That should tell you something.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That you're engaged in an exercise of wishful thinking. :)

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok- but I have to have some hope. :) Did you go to all the links?

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I understand that. What the democrats need right now is not to defeat talk radio, but to find some people with a positive vision for the country and some new ideas. "We hate Bush" isn't going to win any elections, but thats really about all we hear from liberals these days.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link, please.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. Democrats need to start taking the high road. But I don't think they felt they could with the war drums banging. Maybe if this continues, we'll start to hear more from them. Let's hope this becomes a trend.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yes i read all of the articles. They are also exercises in wishful thinking. Rush gets 20-21 millions listeners a week. The top TV programs only get 12 or 13 million viewers right now.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

i'm looking for it, its hard to find apple's numbers. you know how they are.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- but the radio people don't seem to be too happy about it. No matter how you look at it, the drop is BIG. And we're not just talking Limbaugh here. No offense, but I just visited your homepage-maybe you really just don't want this to be happening. Or are you a liberal baptist? And I'm really not trying to be a jerk, just asking and trying to get clarification on your point of view.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

No, I'm a conservative, I don't have any problem telling you.

The drop is not that big when you consider its the year after an election. You notice none of the reports told you how this compared to the drop off after prveious election years. My guess is it would have been the same or close to the same.

There is no trend of falling ratings for Limbaugh when you look at his numbers relative to others in the same markets. Like I said, he still gets over three times the audience in nearly every major market.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Fine- but it still doesn't address this:

In the Spring 2005 reporting period, Rush’s station WIOD-AM has a 2.8 listener share, down a whopping 33% from his 4.2 share in the Fall of 2004. Air America Radio, on the other hand, has a 2.0 share in Spring 2005, up a grand total of 66% since the Fall of 2004. While Rush Limbaugh fans may take solace in the fact that he still maintains a narrow advantage in Florida over the upstart, liberal Air America, one must also consider that he has had a 20 year head start to build a listener base, which is traditionally slow to develop in AM talk radio.

You don't think this could be the beginning of a trend? Remember, this kind of thing probably sunk Gore. And just so you know-I don't consider myself liberal or conservative- I vote for the best person for the job. I don't find Limbaugh or Hannity to be conservatives, I think they're media clowns.

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Here are a few quotes that I think are telling in the articles:

What experts? And why is their "sense" enought to base a news article on? All this says is that the drop is rating are expected and "we hope it means more than that."

He isn't even in the same time slot. And he knows not to go there because he'd get his butt kicked by Limbaugh the same way everyone else does that goes up against him.

What does this tell us? Exactly what I've been saying. Its a post-election year and talk radio ratignnn are naturally going to drop.

And the last article doesn't even comment on Rush's ratings specifically, just the ratings of his station. Plus this disclaimer:
    Can be a good indicator?

Like I said, wishful thinking. Democrats need to figure out how to win and quit hoping their opponents are going to lose.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The fact that Rush's ratings were down is no surpise (as I've said several times). Air America was only started last year so the 66% increase means very little. Just going by the stations, Limbaugh's station has a 2.8 rating and Air America has a 2.0 rating. Not even close.

And I'm sure Rush wins by an even larger margin in his time slot. (But the article conviently left that statistic out... hmmm)

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And I'm thinking you hope they don't win-am I correct? The Republicans faced this same dilemma when they nominated Bush. Nobody thought he would win (except Republicans). He won (or stole the election, depending on who you talk to) even though his father was terrible. My point is: this could be an indicator of where 2006 could go.

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

All I'm saying is those articles cherry pick the statistics that make Rush look the worst. He's not going anywhere. We should have this conversation again when somebody starts getting even half of his listenership. (And in real ratings, not projected ratings. :) )

There may be a trend, I can't say for sure. I just doubt it and these articles don't worry me as a Rush fan.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he's not going away. We could only hope for such a gift. BUT-hopefully his influence will start to wane. He is merely a mouthpiece for the right, nothing more. It would be nice to see someone, liberal or conservative, who deals honestly with all the issues rather than someone who just spouts rhetoric.

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Of course I hope they don't win. I'm not sure what your point is with the first statement.

And of course it could be an indicator. I just don't think that it is.

21. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I would ask for examples but my guess is that you don't listen to him.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I listened to him during the entire Clinton administration, because I disliked Clinton. That guy dug up every conspiracy theory known to man-from Vince Foster to their financial dealings. He ended up with nothing except a sex scandal with Monica Lewinsky. Name me the Bush policies he disagrees with.

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Well for one he frequently criticizes Bush for the way he deals with public relations and the press.

But substantial policy disagreement, I can't think of one. But I can't think of a Bush policy that I disagree with Bush about right now either. Bush is a pretty straightforward conservative so its not a big surprise that other conservatives would agree with him on most issues.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

There you go. I can almost guarantee you that if it were Clinton or Gore going to Iraq for no reason, Limbaugh would be all over him/them.

25. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't accept the premise that we went into Iraq for no reason. We had plenty of reason.