Twitching on the Body?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Aug 12, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Can anyone tell me why this happens? I'm pretty sure most of you have felt it (or maybe not). It's random, and you don't know when it will go away. I got one on my leg right now. It's like pulsing. I can actually see it. Sometimes when you look at it, it goes away, but this one is staying. Anyone know what I'm talkin about. Twitching might not be the right word to describe it...

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Isn't Ebaisle (sp) a doctor? hehe imagine.. the macrumors medical advice clinic! :D

Ed

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I know exactly what you're talking about - they're like mini-spasms, right? The other day my "mouse finger" was twitching and I couldn't stop it. Weird. Sometimes I'll get that on my leg or arm.

My non-professional thought is that it has something to do with your muscles being over-worked (which explains the mouse finger thing :p ) and just involuntarily "stretching" or something.

What's worse is that whole thing when you're just going to sleep and you spasm. I think that has something to do with your muscles relaxing, but it drives me crazy.

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea it's really small though, it doesn't affect any motor functions. I've never gotten it in my finger though. It's been on my arms, cheek, legs, adn probably some other places. I got one in each leg right now. It doesn't really drive me crazy, I think it feels kinda cool. :D

5. billyergs macrumors member

I've always been told that those little spasms are due to fatigue/lack of rest.
    I always get them on my eye lid :(

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Muscle Fasciculation aka "twitching" can be caused naturally or by diseases/disorters.

If you don't have a neurological problem that would cause twitching (such as muscular dystrophy, etc) it can be caused by stress, too much caffeine or other drug, poor nutrition, excessive exercising, and sometimes a med. side effect.

~Eric

[addition] If you get these twitches frequently you may want to consult with your doctor because you could have a neurological problem (proably not, but you never know). Everyone gets them every so often. I've had twitches in my thumb or my eyelid when I work long tiring shifts at the hospital when I'm under a lot of stress.

Edit:

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I knew someone from work who her eye lids would twitch uncontrollably and at the most embarrassing moments, like during meetings. We'd all laugh about it, but secretly,

8. atakordie macrumors member

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

Try eating some bananas. I've heard a doctor prescribe that. Also, yes, as stated above, stress/lack of sleep will trigger a spasm like that.

9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Bananas contain potassium. To make it short potassium has to do with nerve cells and works with nerve impulses.

If you use what ever muscle that is twitching it usually will go away.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i get them on the bottom of my foot sometimes and i hate it and i just site there and wait for it to go away

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me too.

12. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

This happens to me too. Whenever I get particularly tired various places on my body twitch, usually my eye or my forearm near my elbow.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I think this funny twitching is also a precursor to a bodily infestation of giant flesh-eating sewer worms. I saw it on the X-Files. You might want to look into it...

14. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I get them a lot, in my legs, eyelids, and thumbs... today, I had one so bad in my pointerfinger that it actually curled up... :eek:

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Ughhh there is this security guard that works at the hospital that likes to talk to me every morning. He always has a twitch in his eyebrow and one in his cheek (yea, its wierd to look at). And I always want to laugh or something because when someone has a twitching check muscle, it is just really funny to watch the person and it is also very distracting.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That'll be a hypnic jerk – I get them quite often as I'm falling asleep and just starting to dream. Normally I have the same dream – I'm walking along and I stumble on the edge of the kerb, which which makes the leg involved jerk and I wake up. The funny thing is that whenever I have this dream I'm aware of what's going to happen and I start to feel quite annoyed with myself because I know in a moment I'll be fully awake again!

17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I get that occasionally. Sometimes it's in a dream where I'm getting electricuted. Sometimes it is when I am falling asleep and it feel like I am falling, and falling, and falling and then all of a sudden I have a muscle spasm. Its really wierd because the spasm feels like I hit the ground after falling.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>SamIchi

Telling somebody to switch to decaf to rid themselves of a twitch, it's hard since people have become so addicted to the leaded coffee and colas.

:eek:

With the amount we're drinking these days it's one of the big questions ... so do you drink a lot of caffeine drinks?

Of course if you are stressed/tired these days, and the coffee/colas are about the only thing keeping you going -- it's a tough call.

19. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

This happens to me too! Not very often, but it does happen. What I always dream is that I'm falling off a cliff and then I jerk and wake up.

20. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm pretty sure it's not caffeine or stress that causes mine. It's probably all the exercise I do. I am a pretty active person. Might be my diet, I'm not that good one eatin healthy, but I'm not totally bad. I dunno. By the way, I still have the twitch in my leg. Since this morning. I've played basketball since then, and it was still twitchin'. This is the longest I've had one... wierd.

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hate coffee, I hate soda, and I don't really like chocolate but I do eat it sometimes.

I see lots of young kids walking into starbucks every morning and in the afternoon around when school gets out. Kids drinking to much caffeine can become addicted to it and when they drink it they can become irritable, depressed, get head aches, etc. Caffeine is a diaretic which makes you have to go to the bathroom more so kids could become dehydrated (and most kids being active, thats not good), and because it stimulates your nervous systems, kids don't realize that this can cause nervous system and heart problems.

I beleive I get my rare twitches when I am over-worked and under-slept which happens occasionally. Also, I am pretty active so that can cause twiches too.

22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Lets do this Apple OSX style.

command + control + d and hover the mouse over the word below.

Fasciculation

:eek: :cool:

if you dont have your dictionary preferences set to "Open Dictionary Panel" the :cool: factor is reduce to something just above windows vista.

23. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I get those a lot, all over my body, from head to toe, and everywhere in between. Never been to a doctor though...

24. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I've had those at times, kinda annoying, but not nearly as annoying as my muscles involuntarily contracting and staying that way briefly (like a charley horse). Most often happens in my jaw when yawning.

25. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I hate charley horses.
    One time when I was swimming in my pool I was doing laps and then all of a sudden my calf muscle of my right leg just contracted and I couldn't move my knee either and it hurt like crazy. I looked at my leg and my calf muscle and you could see it buldging out. I made my way to the shallow end and just sat there for 20 minutes until the pain went away and I could finally move my leg.