Twitter App Updated With Mute Button, New iPad Features

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 12, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Twitter is adding a new "mute" feature to its iOS app and web experience, allowing users to control the content they see in their Twitter feeds by muting other Twitter users. When a user is muted, their Tweets and Retweets will no longer be visible.
    Muting can be accomplished by visiting a user's profile page or tapping on "More" on a tweet and choosing the mute option. Muted users will not be notified that they are muted, and a mute can be removed any time. At this time, Twitter's mute function is somewhat more limited than third-party apps like Tweetbot, which also includes keyword and hashtag muting.

Twitter has also updated its app with several iPad improvements that were previously introduced to the iPhone app, including photo and video previews directly in the timeline, easier access to Direct Messages, and the ability to reply, retweet, favorite, or follow users directly from timeline Tweets.
    Twitter can be downloaded from the App Store for free. The new mute feature will be rolling out to users starting today and all users will receive access over the course of the next few weeks. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter App Updated With Mute Button, New iPad Features

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Im still using echofon. I've tried switching to the twitter app but i just don't like it

3. macrumors regular

I think this feature would be better if it did notify the other user that you're muting them.

4. macrumors 6502

Or just do the old way and unfollow them so they can see they are doing something wrong!

5. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

Why follow people you don't want to see Tweets from? :confused:

6. macrumors member

surfingarbo

I wish life had the ability to mute actual people.

7. macrumors member

Oh how wonderful would that have been...

8. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

Tweetbot is still better because you can mute keywords/phrases.

9. macrumors regular

The iPad version still looks the same...

Big issue for me is no in-line Instagram photos.

10. macrumors 6502

That was my first as well.

But then I thought of the vendor news feeds that every so often have a tweet contest and it would be useful to "mute" them for that day.

11. macrumors 68020

JarScott

When it comes to iOS devices, I much prefer TweetBot over any other Twitter client. But I DO use the official one on my MacBook because TweetBot for Mac seems to be quite clunky and RAM hungry.

12. macrumors 6502a

Spongeworthy.

There's a cool twitter poster who tweets two or three times a day. High quality, helpful tweets about a topic you're interested in.

Then they start tweeting 20 times an hour about something you're not interested in - some football match in Wales, a TV show about zombies, or a political race in subdistrict 13 in a country you've never heard of.

Mute them. A few days later unmute them and see if they're still spongeworthy.

13. macrumors 6502

After muting them, send them a tweet telling them you have muted them :)

He.he.. don't bother yelling at me back because......

14. macrumors 6502

I have such use cases as well. In fact, I need a snooze feature which is a mute for a specified amount of time like a few hours and if that conversation is not over, I can hit snooze one more time.

15. macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

This would be wonderful. Some of my students (college) and I follow each other. It would be great to mute them on "thirsty Thursday" so I don't see their party pics.

16. macrumors 6502a

DJTaurus

No sync between Mac twitter app and iphone twitter app.... tweetbot still wins :)

17. macrumors member

18. macrumors regular

OddyOh

Tweetbot lets you chose how long to mute for, a day, a week, a month, or forever. Handy when a company you follow starts doing a contest and they're retweeting the best entries, or someone starts a Q&A you're not interested in, etc.

19. macrumors member

Guess how I can tell that you've never had a stalker before?

20. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Mute eh? What is wrong with just unfollowing them? This sounds like a feature that next to nobody is going to use.

21. macrumors newbie

Because some people retweet other people a lot. For example Asymco retweets posts from his secondary accounts about Airshow that I do not care about. I have just muted those.

At least this it how it works in Twitterrific.

22. macrumors 6502

0xyMoron

Well if you run a business and you follow your customers to interact with them or you're an artist or a "popular" person etc.. the mute button becomes very handy since unfollowing means the other person will unfollow you too.

23. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

Very true, valid points.

24. macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Awesome. I'll be checking that out. Thanks!

25. macrumors P6

If you read the thread you'll see some explanations.