'Twitter' for iPhone Gains Push Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twitter yesterday updated its official application for the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad, bringing push notifications to the iPhone version for the first time. The update also delivers several fixes to the iPhone version while offering improvements and fixes for the iPad version.
    Twitter began life as the third-party Tweetie application, but was acquired by Twitter and rebranded back in May. The application became universal in early September with the addition of a native iPad version.

Article Link: 'Twitter' for iPhone Gains Push Notifications

2. Editor emeritus

longofest

push notifications for twitter has been SUCH a long time in coming. Very needed update.

3. macrumors 6502

Nice update :)

4. macrumors 6502a

chenks

twitlonger support appears to have been removed though

5. macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Yeah Push notifications ARE overdue. I have been using boxcar, but might give these push notifications a chance.

6. macrumors 6502

I asked Loren abut it and he just removed the inline view. You can still post with it.

7. macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I really enjoyed the inline display feature.

Also, any one else experiencing that the app crashes when geo-tagging is on?

8. macrumors 6502

Yeah I liked it too. He didn't say, but I imagine that it was removed at the request of Twitter. It goes against their 140 character philosophy.

9. macrumors 6502a

chenks

the inline view is kinda the important bit though!

then why allow to post using it ?

10. macrumors 6502

Yeah thats a good point. You are preaching to the choir, I really miss the feature (hence asking Loren about it). I don't imagine it will be too much longer before the 'Services' option in the iPhone version goes as well.

11. macrumors 6502

Alisstar

I may just install ver 3.1 again on my phone. I've always used boxcar to let me know when I had a mention and DMs anyway.

12. macrumors regular

some of those 'services' are pretty pointless. I don't think 2 of them even work.

13. macrumors member

Finally! This was such a long time coming and honestly I'm still surprised it took this long. Glad to have it now though! @theeventof if you want to follow my tweets ;)

14. macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Boxcar

Boxcar was just updated to allow for instant push tweets as well (instead of a 2-min pulling period). I think I'm going to keep using Boxcar because it allows for custom notification sounds when the tweets come in. For example, I like to hear a little "tweet, tweet!" when I get a message vs. the default "tri-tone" sound that the Twitter app offers.

3rd party notification apps will survive because people want features like this.

-Tuck

15. Jelite, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

macrumors 6502a

Push notifications don't work for me.

Edit: I've installed Echofon, seems to be better.

16. macrumors regular

i'm getting both an sms and a push notification when i get a @mention. anyone know how to turn off the sms notifications?

17. macrumors 6502

You should be able to do so in Twitter profile (on the website).

18. macrumors regular

i don't mean the mobile alerts that you can set up on twitters website. ever since the new update to the twitter app, i get an sms when i mentioned, even if it's from someone who i don't receive mobile updates for.

i'm assuming this has to do with this update because it didn't happen before...

19. macrumors 6502

I guess you can try to use some of the commands listed on the sidebar (like ON/OFF):

http://twitter.com/devices

Or you can also reset notification in Twitter app: last 5th tab, scroll down till Accounts&Settings, click Settings, Notifications.

Hope it helps

20. macrumors 65816

OldSchoolMacGuy

I've had to disable them. Getting a message every time someone mentions me on Twitter is beyond annoying.

21. macrumors 6502

I like the new push notifications, very handy.

22. macrumors 65816

are you kidding? That only worked properly a small percentage of the time.

Twitlonger defeats the entire purpose of twitter, and I say good riddance.

23. macrumors 6502

Alisstar

It worked for me every time I used it to read a tweet with it.

If it defeats the purpose then they need to stop supporting it altogether, as you can post tweets with it that extend past the 140 characters, just not able to extend the tweet in-line.

24. macrumors newbie

Boxcar was just updated to allow for instant push tweets as well (instead of a 2-min pulling period). I think I'm going to keep using Boxcar because it allows for custom notification sounds when the tweets come in. For example, I like to hear a little "tweet, tweet!" when I get a message vs. the default "tri-tone" sound that the Twitter app offers.

3rd party notification apps will survive because people want features like this.

25. simpson123, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

macrumors newbie

Great

Good job,
    Twiiter this updation, as we all needed since a long time desprately. This information would help the present condition of the twitter. I have just installed 3.1 into my iphone and found some great feature about that.