Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today updated its dedicated Mac app with support for several Twitter features that have previously been available to Twitter users on iOS and the web, including Moments and Polls.

Introduced in October, Moments is a new Twitter tab that's designed to help users discover popular news stories, events, and trending topics, aggregating interesting content into categories like News, Sports, Entertainment, and Fun.

twitterformac-800x500.jpg

The ability to create custom polls embedded within Tweets was also added in a separate October update, allowing Twitter users to query their followers through multiple choice 24-hour polls.

Along with support for Moments and Polls, Twitter for Mac users can now share GIFs in tweets and Direct Messages through a new GIF search feature.
What's New
- Find the best of Twitter in an instant with Moments. Follow top stories through immersive pics, clips, and conversations. Get insights and perspectives you won't find anywhere else.
- Create polls on Twitter and with just a couple of taps, people can weigh in on all the topics they care about.
- Sharing GIFs in Tweets and Direct Messages is even easier with our new GIF search.
Today's Twitter for Mac update comes five months after a major app overhaul that was introduced in December. The Twitter for Mac 4.0 update introduced a slew of features like inline video playback, group direct messages, mute, a dark theme, and Notification Center widget.

Twitter for Mac can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac Gains Support for Moments and Polls

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
They also fixed the performance issues introduced in version 4.0. It was basically unusable. For example, I like to switch between accounts with Command-Shift-[ and Command-Shift-], and it took several seconds to animate the switch. Now it works much better!

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Why isn't timeline syncing included in the official apps? It's the one feature that keeps me using Tweetbot, which is excellent.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
I doubt you will ever see official timeline syncing - Twitter wants to push people away from the chronological aspect of the service.

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
That's odd - I updated the app, but I am not seeing the Moments tab. I do have it on my iOS devices though. Guess its a gradual rollout again...

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
Do people use twitter, anymore? It feels like the only thing that it still has going for it is the "live discussion/sharing" aspect.

Basically, if a particular set of users begin to share on Facebook only and Facebook implements similar functionality bellow their "trending" tabs (instead of more and more ads, unless you have Adblock Plus, as every responsible user should), twitter is useless and 100% obsolete.

I know that it's hip to hate on Apple, or Facebook, or Google and saying that FB is the new AOL. But it isn't: It's the most valuable platform for communication and sharing.

Let's just hope that Zuk has the balls to say FU to shareholders once in an while, and focus on the actual product. (like, why the **** do we still need flash? Why video calls aren't supported on any browser besides Chrome and FF? How should I choose between Whatsapp and Messenger? What the **** is instagram?)

See as my post is almost 100% non-twitter? That's because twitter is an useless and redundant app from the hypers of silicon valley. I stopped using it when they didn't update the Mac app before WW1 until now. That's like, a lot of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.