Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today announced a new feature for its iOS and Android applications that will connect people to Twitter users around the world who share similar interests. Using the new "Connect tab," users will be able to browse a list of people and accounts that the social network believes you will be interested in, all without having to manually search topics and hashtags yourself.

twitter-connect-tab-2.jpg
Finding new accounts to follow used to require jumping through a few hoops and a dash of luck. That's why we've reimagined the experience with our new Connect tab. Starting today, you'll see a detailed list of people and accounts we think you'll enjoy following, all easily accessible in one place.
To curate the best selections in the Connect tab, the company said it uses the people you already follow, liked tweets, popular local Twitter accounts, and current world and entertainment events. It also assured users that it will "let you know exactly why we're showing you each recommendation," to avoid any confusion.

Beyond random accounts, the Connect tab will serve as an easier way to find friends and family members with the option to sync a smartphone's address book to find pre-existing Twitter users, and give you a heads up if a contact in the address book joins Twitter. The company said the new Connect tab is rolling out to everyone using Twitter for iOS and Android beginning today, but didn't mention the possible addition of the new feature to its desktop site.

Twitter for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter Launches 'Connect Tab' on iOS and Android to Curate Recommended Accounts

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Or you could just use a hashtag of something you like and find people?

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
People use the official app? Ok, they must love seeing adds & constant irrelevant account suggestions. I've use echofon for years, cuts out all the crap.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Damn, just the other day I wondered why I'm not shown more "recommended" and totally unrelated stuff in apps that clogs up my feeds even more.

/s

Here's maybe the only recommended feature I really like: Youtube's video recommendations.
Yes, lots of crap in there, but if you watch as much YouTube as I do you spot a LOT of good and quite related content in there.
Love or hate Google, but boy they got their algorithms down and it works with a site like YouTube where you actually go out of your way to find more content, instead of merely looking at what you already know about or know to look for specifically.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.