Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
The official Twitter app for iOS was today updated to version 6.54, quietly adding expanded 3D Touch support. As noticed by MacStories, the update enables Peek and Pop gestures within the Twitter app itself, allowing Twitter users with an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus to preview content through a "Peek" and then quickly open it up with a "Pop."

Peek and Pop gestures are available for previewing tweets, pictures, links, and user profiles, and with a swipe up on a Peek gesture, there are quick tools for sharing, reporting, muting, and blocking.

Twitter previously featured 3D Touch support, but it was limited to Home screen Quick Actions, allowing users to do things like search, create a new tweet, or send a direct message.

Twitter can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Gains Support for Peek and Pop 3D Touch Gestures

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I'm not much of a Tweeter if you will. But Hopefully we can see more of 3D Touch develop. Once you start using it more often, it really is a nice short cut and convenience factor.

Reactions: Avieshek

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
Finally. I know it sounds like a dumb feature, but I have been trying to use 3D touch on Twitter for ages, just to find it doesn't support it.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
They need to code for sudo peek and poke for non 3d touch by pressing on a link with one finger and tap screen with another and tap again to open. No?

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Just updated in UK. No peek and pop here. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I was thinking it could be implemented with just a long (think 1.5 second) press.
A long press is the only thing that does seem to work (pops up a menu). Even in 6S. The U.K. latest download is definitely not responding to in-app 3D Touch.
[doublepost=1464402403][/doublepost]
The description was "tons of features you didn't even know you needed".
More like Clouns and preachers you didn't even know you leaded.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
That beak on the Twitter bird still looks wrong to this day. It's like a pimple I need to pop. And the head length and wing shape—those too. That beak though!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The description was "tons of features you didn't even know you needed".
It's funny how the actual description says "A few minor updates that you didn't even know you needed."

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I'm kinda actually tired of the recent trend where social media apps list absolutely nothing in their update change logs and instead include a witty sentence. If it weren't for MR, I probably wouldn't have known what was new until I accidentally stumbled upon it.

daniel4

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
New York
Tweetbot has had this for a while now. It's infinitely useful especially when you just wanna quickly upload a photo without messing with the rest of the app. Not sure why it took so long for them to integrate.

Reactions: mastercheif91

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Apple has really dropped the ball when it comes to making it easy for app developers to include 3d touch gestures in their apps.

If Apple releases a new feature like this it really should draw developer's attention to it using some practical examples of how to implement it.

Just like it markets the store, Apple should market the new technologies better to developers so there is more consistency using things like 3d touch.

It would also be great if new versions of xcode scan a project and look for parts of code that might benefit from a 3d gesture. For example, parts of xcode that use long press gestures might benefit from a 3d touch as well so Xcode should suggest that and give a basic implementation.

You would have more developers using the technology thus giving a more consistent experience for all users using devices that have that feature in built.

Reactions: Vanilla35
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.