Two 20 inch or One 23 inch Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iact101, Jun 26, 2005.

1. iact101 macrumors newbie

I am getting into digital photography and image editing and am planning on upgrading my 17 inch lcd screen.

I am doing this to take advanatage of the 6 mega pixel camera I am about to purchase.

I'm looking at either two 20 inch or one 23 inch display as this is what my budget will allow for.

What do you guys/gals think is the best set up for what I plan to use it for and any reasons why ????

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A single 23 inch screen would be stunning. Dual displays is just geeky. ;)

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I disagree, dual 20'' would be cooler and it shows you take photography quite seriously. They would probably give you more room on the screen, too. Either way is a good choice though. :)

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I don't know a lot about digtal photography but I would go for the dual 20 inch screens. There is a ton more space. What res. does your camera take? If the photos show up as a whole on the 23 display then I would go for that. If it doesnt then for sure the 2x20.

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Dual displays (or triple, in my case :eek: ) always gets the ooh's and ahh's from the people. I would go for the two 20" displays. You will find that you have a ton more screen space with two displays instead of one bigger one. Now, if this was between two 20's and a 30, well that's a different story. :p

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I reccomend getting one 23" now, and another as soon as you can - The 23" is a High Definition monitor (Apple Cinema Display HD - ACDHD) as opposed to the 20" being a regular display. (Apple Cinema Display - ACD)

BUT, dual screens is good for photography.

OR, you can get two dell 24" displays... supposedly as good.

7. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I vote for one, just because I've found that for myself on the one occasion I tried to split screens (purely for the fun of it - email on one, documents on another) it was distracting. It must work better if you're not going back and forth between text because I know folks in the energy trading industry have three or four displays stacked around them and it doesn't seem to phase them. I'm sure you've seen the many threads on the 24" sub-$1000 Dell that's getting praise. I'll link to the barefeats review (CNET has one too) on it. http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html The most often observed downside is that it's not as pretty.

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

2 displays, end of story! I miss having my second monitor even though it was a piece of crud it was just nice to have the extra real-estate to dump stuff like iTunes and adium and have photoshop clutter free.

9. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

the dell does look interesting

Thanks Guys,

Yes I know two screens look cooler but was more looking into what would work best with a 6 mega pixel camera.

I hadn't looked at the Dell cause well its dell......

I know they don't look any where near as cool as the Apples but 500 AUD price differences is simply too much to ignore.

Although does any have any personal experience using them on a Mac ?

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Not to offend, but if you've read the forums like at ALL, everyone that has a Mac loves dell. Well monitors, that is. Thats how I discovered it and could reccomend it.

BTW I use PC.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would suggest comparing the maximum resolution of your 6 megapixel camera with the native resolutions of the LCD displays you're interested in. If the 20" isn't enough, go with 23" or 24" (or 30"?)...

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would strongly consider a Dell 2405 FPW 24" display.
    or a pair of Apple 20" ACD's $899 vs $699 each.

The Dell 24" also pivots for portrait work and this would come in handy
    for photography.

If you search through these forums, you'll find plenty of posts comparing
    these products.

The Apple 23 looks beautiful, but continues to have many complaints about
    pink issues and uneven color. Not good to hear considering the premium
    you pay expecting unequalled quality.

13. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

14. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

A 6 Mega pixel camera produces a 3008 x 2000 size picture at its top res.

So no current LCD screen least that I know of can handle this res. And if their is one I am sure I will not be able to afford it, as I have a budget.

What I was looking for was people that actually use these products and what would work best in a work flow context. What is a better set up, two 20 inchs or One 23 inch'er.

The two 20s has more screen restate then one 23 but that comes at the cost of a nice break between the two screens. Given that neither of these screens can handle a 6 mega pixel picture at its natural res I want to know what people think is the best way to handle this situation.

Guess I wasnt clear enough in my first post.....sorry

dotdotdot.... My work place use and love Dell computers.... hence by default I also use Dell gear every day at work so I have my own opinions about Dells.

I had not seen the 24 inch screen they offer as I only look into this kind of thing when I actually need the gear. And my work place doesn't buy screens that large.......wish they did!!!!!!!

15. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

FFTT:

That's the question really .... what works better One 23 inch or Two 20 inch screens given my application.

I see you have the Dell 24 inch with a Mac and still recommend it which is great to hear.

Certianly a great point about the portiat mode which would be a factor, I hadn't even thought about.

Does Apple support that mode on the dell ???? eg does the dock and menu bar at that top move to the correct position ???

Product wise its either Two Apple 20s or One Dell 24 inch the Apple 23 inch is just too much more for what sounds like just its stylish looks.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I would recommend 30 then :D

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Apple 23 inch and Dell 24 inch have different DPI, who stuff will look bigger on Dell. I recomment dual 20-inch.

By the way what is Portrait Mode? :confused:

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I haven't tried portrait mode with any of my applications, but I think Apple
    has it covered now with the 10.4.1 update.

I ran pixel tester on my Dell 24" and it showed absolutely ZERO faults or dead pixels.

I ran the Dell 24" specs by one of my good friends who works in a large pro
    photo/print shop and she agreed that the Dell exceeds the Apple 23" in both price and quality.

The Dell also offers picture in picture and picture by picture as well as additional RCA and S video inputs.

You should be able to get one for $899 either through Dell education or small business.

I don't know much about the one vs two issue, but if one Dell doesn't cut it, you can always run a 2nd one as long as your CPU has dual DVI support.

Your only other option is the Apple 30" display which is absolutely beautiful
    if you can afford it.

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If only the Dells had dual DVI inputs...

(They can lose all those obsolete analog ports too...) ;)

20. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks FFTT I am certianly leaning towards the Dell 24 inch, I wish I could afford the 30 inch but its just too much. Interesting the hear your friends point that the Dell 24 is better then the Apple 23.

I will have to look into the small business or edu pricing to see what final price I can get it for. I think the 24 Dell is the way to go and put the savings towards a second one sometime in the distant future.

21. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

eXan portrait Mode means you can turn the screen on its side, eg long ways

you can see a picture here : http://www.jaded-gamer.com/content.php?review.55

its one of the last shots in the review, believe me you will know it when you see it.

it is rather impressive and useful for pictures and certian mame 32 games

22. punkbass25 macrumors member

be warned about the portrait mode for the dell displays.

OSX is not what will prevent you from using this useful feature. it all depends on your graphics card, so check with your GPU cards manufacturer to see if the card in your mac will support portrait mode. if it doesn't regardless of OS you absolutely will not be able to run it.

23. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I believe this has been discussed before...I will say what I said before...get 2 20's...then you can say u roll on dubs...or you could get the 24's....everybody loves 24's....or get a couple of 17's and keep 'em real clean...alright, maybe I went a little overboard... :rolleyes:

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's really a matter of personal preference. Some people who use dual displays really actively use both, and would much rather have two small displays than one big display. I, on the other hand, have dual displays but mostly focus on my main display, and I try to fit as much stuff as possible on my main display. A larger screen is especially useful if you are going to be using a really high res camera.

I would get one 23'' rather than two 20''s.