Two Apples: One sour...the other Oh, so sweet[!]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atacinus, Dec 7, 2003.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

first off all, i just went to the apple retail store around here and will never go back again...what morons...i walked out halfway through the sale, called 1-800-MY APPLE from their store and ordered it instead. anyway, that.s the end of the negativity...my question is...i know a lot of people have had problems getting the 15in powerbook...the guy on the phone told me 5-7 days to ship...is apple still having problems with shipping these or did october/november take care of that? Oh, and one last question...i have an iPod that i used on my windoze beastie...anyone know how a) i can reformat it for the mac and b) can i use it as a firewire harddrive and transfer my gigs worth of songs to the mac instead of having to burn like 8 cds? if i firewire disc it on windoze will it read on mac?

Thanks,
    Christien

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Re: Two Apples: One sour...the other Oh, so sweet[!]

When I add one of those to my shopping cart, it does say 5-7 days. They may still be playing catch-up to fill all those orders they received while they were fixing the screen problems with the first batch of 15" PBs.

Whether or not your reformat your iPod with a Mac file structure is up to you...Your new PB will read it either way (with a Windows {FAT} partition or a Mac partition). If you want to change it over to a Mac partition, you'll have to get a program that'll allow you to transfer your files from the iPod to your Mac, format the iPod, and then move the files back onto your iPod. I like PodWorks.

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, sorry but one more question...those display problems are fixed right? i mean the new powerbooks that are shipping no one is getting 'white spots' correct? just wondering...

Thanks,
    Christien

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would like to know why you wont go back to the store, why are they morons and what didnt they do or what did they do to piss you off?

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

sure, i guess i should have explained that...i just didn.t want to be too negative and not get my questions answered by turning this thread into some sort of flame...letsee...well, i went to the apple store with the intention of putting down about $2300 for a new powerbook 15in loaded with lot.s of extras...that price is with my student discount...i had been to the apple store before and they said all that i needed to bring was proof that i was going to the college...[i.m starting in the fall, so i don.t just have an ID]...so i bring in about 50 different papers with my name and SS# plastered all over them...agreements between me and the school, for housing, for payment, for financial aid...all kinds of nonsense and i get this moron who [after already getting my powerbook order wrong -grabbing the wrong boxes et al] wants to see only my acceptance letter...no problem...oh geez, it.s in another stack of papers at home...an hour and a half away...look at the papers i.ve brought, i.m obviously enrolled in the school...he get.s all indignent and says he can.t give me the discount. i asked to use his phone and placed my order with 1-800-MY APPLE and told him i would never come back again.....

so that.s why i.m pissed - now original question though...shipping on the powerbooks? the iPod question? and are those damned white spots gone yet?

Thanks,
    Christien

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Dude that's crazy...your acceptance letter??

I've never bought anything educational at an actual physical store, but I've heard of other people doing that, and all they had to show was an I.D. I'd call customer relations and report this location. I've bought stuff online and they've never even called my school to check and see if I go there, let alone ask for any type of identification.

I answered your iPod question and your PB questions...5-7 days...and yes, the white spots are gone. I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and it's been perfect since being fixed for the white spots the second time around.

7. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

i hate the apple store here in ireland...

my bro went in asking for a 15-inch PB with backlit KB and they told him that he can't get it on that model... such BULL!!

he knows nothing about computer, much less Macs. so annoying! We eventually called the Apple Store, much more ehlpful

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just wondering if you bothered asking what valid forms of "proof" were. Im sure they have this documented somewhere and could have told you to avoid your hassle.

When we used my wifes teacher status, we had to show a paystub from the school, an ID, or a letter from the school printed on school letterhead. We chose the paystub...easy enough.

Sorry about your problem. Really...But if you call to complain about that store, I am sure they will try to throw it back on you for not asking which documents are considered "proof". Its a common tactic for companies to blame consumers for not asking the right questions.

Aside, I once went to CompUSA and they price matched the Apple edu discount without any proof of my wifes profession. They just wanted my business.

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I have to agree, some of the people here at the Apple store in Hawaii don't really know what the hell they're selling. Perhaps more training is in order.

10. djjon macrumors member

My mom is a teacher and we have bought a few things from the Apple Store for Teachers and not once have they done any kind of follow up to see if she acctually was employed by a school board.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Bummer experience. I've never had the slightest problem ordering online, either, so I'd at the very least call to complain. It may be anal company policy, but the worst that happens is they say "sorry, but it's your fault", and you hang up on them. Best, you encourage them to re-train the overly cautious idiots at one or more stores. Take one for the team.

About shipping, a friend of mine just custom ordered a higher-end 15" (several things added and removed), and it was on a plane out of Taiwan within two business days. He placed the order late evening on Sunday, and it's on a Fedex truck in California right now. Would've been a day earlier, except there was a problem with his credit card.

That's fast.