Two boys arrested in death of man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Mar 4, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Two 13 year old boys were arrested in the death of a 87 year old man. Death was caused by blunt trauma to the head, possibly by a skateboard. The boys had previously broken into his home for theft, but not yet arrested for that. They were arrested as a result of joy-riding in the man's explorer.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/11030353.htm

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They must have just heard about the supreme court ruling. :mad: Fry these punks..................cant do that though can we? They are not responsible for anything according to some darn lawyers and judges. wish they were 18.

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Sad thing is they'll be out by the time they are 17 - 18 (or even sooner). And in the meantime, they'll become much more aggressive and violent while locked up. Sad sad story. :( :mad:

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    what did that old man ever do to them. god these kids deserve the chair

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah this has been big news around here lately. Really sad situation. The local paper reports today that these kids dads are both in and out of jail, and their mom's are broke. The creepiest part is that apparently several neighbors and others suspected or had heard that something had happened to this guy but nobody reported it to the cops. Apparently it's not a crime to not report information like this to the cops.

The kids will be tried as juveniles, so the recent SCOTUS decision would in no way have affected this case. They can only be held until they are 25, which thankfully is a ways off, but I'm sure they'll be hardened criminals by then.

What a mess. :(

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Suitable punishment should include having their heads cracked open by a skateboard, and letting them bleed until they become either a) unconscious b) dead or c) mentally retarded.

7. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

No, this should not be about punishment. That is so uncivilized. We should focus on prevention. Just kill the boys. Then they'll never do this again.

I normally agree with the Supreme Court's rulings. They think things out very well. But they really goofed on this. Execution is about preventing future crimes and it is a 100% deterrant for the individual who has been executed. There are some cases where it is definitely warranted.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

This is a very sad case. Such a trend toward younger juveniles committing such heinous crimes. Not sure the remedy, but with these teenagers its too late. Wonder if they have also come from a family of abuse. Another example where some people have no business being parents.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If it can be proven beyond any doubt that these two were responsible for killing this old man, their punishment should be obvious:

Bury them with him. Alive or dead, doesn't matter.

SCOTUS seriously dropped the ball the other day... the decision to allow executions where the criminals were underage is and should be made by the PEOPLE, not by 5 morons in black robes. (The other 4 were in favor of allowing the practice to continue.) The Constitution is designed to PROTECT us from government, not to take our rights away.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Barbarism

At risk of having this moved to the political forum, I'm amazed at the reaction here...

"Since 1990, juvenile offenders are known to have been executed in only seven countries: China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Pakistan, Yemen, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and the United States."
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=27&did=203#execsworld

Doesn't the U.S. sound in good company with the countries listed here?

Edit: Just noticed that this has already been moved to the pol. forum.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

WTF??? Bloodthirsty lot, these liberals, aren't they? What is the matter with you guys? How can killing them help the dead bloke? This is the kind of knee-jerk reaction which produced 100,000 dead people in Afghanistan, Iraq and Somalia. Take a good look at yourselves, people! :eek:

Mactastic and Blue Velvet excepted ;)

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Was my post that ambiguous?
    I am in no way condoning the death penalty for anyone.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I was referring to our transatlantic contingent. I know you aren't that loopy... :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, I've edited you in... :)

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sigh, more than likely the parents fault. Kids really have little concept of what they do, that is why they are not legally allowed to go out into the world and fend for themselves.

Todays edition of USAToday has some interesting brain scan imaging to support a story pushing to delay the age at which kids are eligible to have a drivers license. Until about 25, brains are still in development and susceptible to making erratic decisions.

These kids were 13, unsupervised and not cared about by all indications. Sounds like the mothers should never have carried them to term, I doubt that the pregnancies were intentional.

What they did was wrong, and it will affect them for the rest of their lives.

It's a good thing that so much propaganda is levied against abortion though, cause god knows we need more kids like this in the world.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Got a source for that or is it just your impression?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds like they shouldn't vote or serve in the army either, then.

Unfortunately, erratic decisions don't end at 25.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I drove by the trailer park where this all happened and left some flowers at the memorial... figured it was the least I could do. So much poverty compacted together there. I know this kind of thing can happen anywhere, but I still shake my head and wonder how it could happen in my quiet little town... :(

18. pdham macrumors member

This is truely disgusting, and Xtreme is right, probably the parents fault. But killing them, or anybody for that matter, is not the answer. The death penalty is not a deterent, I think anybody who has looked into the subject is aware of that. And more than that, the capital punishment system is grossly discriminatoryt... period. I recently did a paper of that aspect and discovered some disturbing statistics. I will get you sources at a later time, right now I am at work. All the studies say that a black man convicted of killing a white man is 19 times more likely to get the death penalty than a white man killing a black man. You don't need to see any other numbers than that to know we have to do something.

Paul