Two button mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by lilscoy, Aug 2, 2002.

1. lilscoy macrumors member

Hey guys, I need some advice. I really want to get a two button mouse for my mac, but I was curious about a couple of things. First, I was curious as to how likely you think it is that Apple will come out with one. And second, I was curious about your thoughts on this new Kensington StudioMouse. Here is the url:
    http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1477.html
    Should I wait for an Apple 2-button mouse? Or should I just get this one? If I get a 2-button mouse, I definitely want a scroll wheel, and from I've been hearing, Apple's (if they make one) won't have a scroll wheel.
    I know that I might get flamed for wanting a 2-button mouse, but it would really be helpful for some of the programs that I use. Anyway, thanks for your help.

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

macally

Thats a nice looking mouse! I have a iNet Macally 3 button with Scrole weel mouse. Its not optical but macally makes them now.

http://www.maczone.com/cgi-bin/zones/site/product/index.html?id=8936

http://www.macally.com/index.html

I like mine and have been using it for a long time now. Works fine with OS X. Only problem is that the beta drivers I have for it (to use the programable buttons) for OS X, dont work. I see that they recently put out some final version drivers. I will have to give them a try. Macally has some new colors to match the iMac and iBook.

The one your interested in is a nice looking mouse, but it seems a bit expensive.

-evildead

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I use the iOptiNet mouse (optical, three button with scrolling wheel as well) and it works very well. With the new software to run under OS X, you can now use the scrolling wheel as a button (as you can under OS 9.x).

I have had problems with Kensington products drivers and the Mac OS before, which makes me stay clear of them. Never mind how they over-charge for their products. Save the ~$20 and get the MacAlly mouse.

BTW, I will probably pick up the MacAlly cordless mouse when it hits the streets.

4. lilscoy thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm....

Thanks for your input guys. Both of those mice (mouses?) look good. Yeah, the StudioMouse is expensive. I was going to wait a little bit to see if I could find it cheaper. I also looked at the IceMouse. I like its all white look. Anyway, thanks again. :)

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hey, you won't get flamed from me, that's for sure. I use a two-button with scroll wheel and I'll never go back. And just an observation, if anybody sees the mouse and thinks it's metallic: it's not. It's just the lighting. It's really two-tone plastic color similar to the Quicksilver cases. Just wanted to mention that because it fooled me the first time I saw it awhile back.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I have a two button wireless mouse with a scroll wheel. It is bliss.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Microsoft optical intellipoint here baby. 4 buttons plus a clickable scroll wheel. Works flawlessly w/OS X and all buttons are completely mapable w/both global and program specific settings. :)

Lethal

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I refuse to give m$ any more of my hard earned money. Epsecially when there are plenty of alternatives that are just as good (if not better). See what Logitech, Macally, and even kensington have to offer... :p

To me, using an m$ mouse is akin to trying to use an USB, pc keyboard on a Mac. :rolleyes: Just because you can force it to work, doesn't mean you should. :p :D

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, i'm getting a IntelliMouse Optical Explorer, just because it was the cheapest mouse i could get.

10. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I have nothing against people who use two-button mice, but I use the Apple Pro mouse that came with my Quicksilver. If Apple ever makes a mouse with a scroll wheel, I'll buy it in a flash.

11. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

same here....I got not much use for multiple buttons but they can be useful in certain circumstances so i would buy one if it got released...

12. mmcneil macrumors regular

Two Button, Scroll Wheel, & Optical

Agree with AlphaTech - in fact I'm almost ready to try StarOffice for a new business venture :).

On the technology side - I have never understood Apple's reluctance to field a multi-button mouse. I haven't used a single button mouse in so long (except my wife's iMac) that I find myself clicking right on them :D