Two Button Optical Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by agreenster, Dec 18, 2001.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I was thinking, why does Apple insist on always making a single button mouse? Simplicity of design? That is my initial guess, but I was thinking that they could have the best of both worlds, and still make those picky people happy by making a two button optical mouse, without a slit down the middle of the top.

The first reaction I always get from PC users when they see my laptop and mouse is, "that is an awesome mouse." But it is always immediately followed by, "where are the buttons??" After I explain how the button works, they simply nod and enjoy the engineering. However, they (and some frustrated 'control-clicking' Apple users) are still frustrated with having to mess with the second hand being necessary to 'control-click.' I would love to able to utilize the second mouse button, but I still want the sweet Apple logo and design, so I dont want to go third party. (it just looks better than an ugly Intellimouse)

So, instead of the 'back and forth' rocking motion of the current optical mouse (the clicking mechanism), why doesnt Apple do a 'left and right' rocking motion and get two mouse buttons out of it? The mouse would look EXACTLY the same, work the same, be just as creative/innovative, but be more practical as well. Im no engineer, but I know those guys at Apple could figure out how to do this.

What do you guys think?

2. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Well send me to Disney and call me Goofy.

41 views and not one stinkin' reply. Maybe its a bad idea. Maybe no one cares.

Pretty wild I think, that one of the MOST common remarks I get about the mouse from PC users is this specific thing. ( I know its not big and important, but it seems like these windows users have to compare it somehow, and this is the first thing they mention)

Guess I'll stop talking to myself.

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Ok...it's a really good idea, but I have problems with the pro mouse. It's a wonderful looking design, but I find that I hit the button too easily when I'm just resting my hand on it, making for some pain in the butt mistakes while doing my graphics. I too need the two buttons, but more importantly...the scroll wheel!!! I love that wheel! I bought a simple Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical, and I love using it because OS X has built in scroll wheel support and second button support. I don't need 8 buttons, just two and a wheel. I have my pro mouse packed away, and I considered selling it on ebay. Sometimes I bring it to classes so that I don't have to use those old damn hockey puck that Duquesne still has. If Apple can make a nice mouse that isnt as easy to click with two buttons and a scroll wheel, I might just conider paying $69 for a new one.

-Pete

4. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

I love the scroll wheel, too. I just think apple is afraid to allow their products to get too cluttered, and want simple design. But I think they could pull off a flashy, very nice looking (yet subtle, of course) mouse. I dont know. I think its a Steve Jobs pet peeve.

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Its because of history why Apple does not produce a 2 button mouse!! If apple did then they would be admitting defeat on the old argument that says we need two buttons and not one. However, it is possible that they might include a scroll wheel at some point.

6. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

hm.......

I guess I never heard that one.......

what was the arguement? Just that Apple insisted that you didnt need to buttons? It think its been proven that they are very helpful, especially in applications that utilize multiple buttons, like Maya.

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: hm.......

Yes, i think that a 2 button mouse is very useful for some things. However, the mac has always had a 1 button mouse (sort of tradition), "said to make things simpler" with only 1 button.

8. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

I see

Did you happen to catch that someone released a joke article on "Right on Mac" about a two button mouse today?? Makes you wonder if they were glancing through MacRumors.com and read my post before going and writing the silly article.

Wow. If thats true, I'm, like famous.
    (please note the sarcasm before writing a mean response)