Two CD-R icons after burning w/ iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Ambrose Chapel, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i've found a weird bug when burning an audio CD with iTunes 4.1. I've burned 3 CDs since my archive and install of Panther, all today. 2 were with 10.3 and 1 with 10.3.1. i insert the blank CD and it mounts normally. after i burn the CD, i get 2 CD images on the desktop - one is 'untitled' (i don't name the cd when it first mounts) and the other is the burned CD with the name of the playlist. if i press the eject button on my TiBook or in the iTunes window the disc ejects along with the icon for the burned CD. if i drag the icon for the other CD to the trash or eject it with a finder button it asks if i want to burn it. i say no and the image ejects and disappears from the desktop.

i haven't burned any data discs yet, so i don't know if it happens there too. any ideas as to what is going on? this never happened under 10.2.x.

edit - the discs all play normally

2. AngryAngel macrumors regular

It seems like iTunes just made a session on the disc, not a finallised disk. So the Finder's disc burner is seeing the available space on the CD-R, just as if it were a blank CD-R. Can iTunes burn to the CD for a second time?

It may just be that iTunes and Disc Burner now support multiple session burning. Not tried any of this out, so I have no idea...

3. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Phantom CD problem with iPhoto too!

Yeah - I ran into that too! I would put the CD in and name it - "Photos for Dad Vol. 1" and then hit "burn" in iPhoto. The disc would be named "iPhoto disc".

I ejected the "iPhoto disc" and - voila - there on my desktop is "Photos for Dad Vol. I" - asking if I'd like to burn.

What I found is that I need to now EXPORT - select the CD in the finder window that comes up and send it to the disc I just named for the photos to end up on the named disc and not have the weird phantom disc problem. UPSHOT - the burn button in iPhoto doesn't work like it should now and one must use "Export" instead.

Very buggy.:mad:

4. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

well it's somewhat comforting to know i'm not the only one with this problem. law guy, have you submitted a bug report on the os x feedback page?

anybody else bitten by this bug?

5. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I haven't submitted a bug report. Until yesterday, my larger buggy problem was inability to print to my HP 2100. I purchased an internal print server (HP 615) in case it was a USB-affecting bug (appeared to be from the Apple discussion board). That being fixed (for a small $265), I suppose its time to add my two cents to what must be a long list of reports on this.

LG

6. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

just an fyi, i've reproduced this with iTunes 4.2 and 10.3.2...hopefully it gets fixed in the next OS X update.

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I've had that issue too with my iBook G4, and it's been there even with a factory-installed version of panther...

It doesn't really bother me, except for multiple disc burning sessions, where after 3 or 4 discs I have old CD-R icons all over my desktop.

I should send in a bug report about it too :rolleyes:

8. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i get that bug too, ive made a bunch of cd's and when they are done burning there are 2 cdr icons on my desktop... i just eject the one and drag the other to the trash... its a bit annoying, but not as annoying as having to use window, so i deal... i hope they fix it though, seems easy enough...

9. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yeah i was also able to reproduce it on my gf's Ti and my parents' power mac, at least with 10.3.0/1...

send in those bug reports, hopefully the next update will fix it. i'm kind of surprised it wasn't fixed already. o well...

10. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Yup, this happens to me.. Especially when burning with Toast. Apparentally Finder doesn't realize that the disk has already been ejected. It doesn't really bother me however.

11. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

it's not that Finder doesn't know that the disc has been ejected, it's that it doesn't know the disc was burned! But yeah, as long as the discs get burned correctly (and they do), it's only a minor annoyance.

12. bcleland macrumors member

Happened to me also, I thought it was just me. I will report it as well.

13. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I get this in the finder all the time. It's an old Jaguar bug, but it seems to be back.

I'll just submit a bug report.

14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

it seems that all of your disc burning problems are occurring in applications other than the system.
    i believe that when you insert the blank cd/dvd you need to click ignore and not give it a name.
    then burn from itunes/iphoto/etc.
    the real bug here is that finder doesn't realize the cd is being burned by another application.
    if you have any need to burn a cd using itunes or iphoto, please try clicking ignore and see what happens. or, of course, if you have been clicking ignore, then i stand corrected.

hope i could help,
    reality