Two cell phones on the same number?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hummer, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'm buying a Blackberry 7250 because it's the cheapest phone on verizon I could find with a qwerty keyboard. I also have a RAZR that I bought directly from verizon. I was wondering if I could have both of them on the same number/line at verizon.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I think it'd be best if you actually ask Verizon about this.

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'd usually ask their live sales help on their site, but it's a sunday. I was just wondering if anyone here knew.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I believe that's impossible. The phone number is tied to the EIN of the phone. It's similar to [WEAK ANALOGY] one IP address for two MAC addresses. [/WEAK ANALOGY].

Now, if I could get a two-line cell phone!

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

On Verizon, I believe this is impossible. I looked into this a while back, but I couldn't find anything out there that would lead me to believe it would work. It is possible on a GSM network by moving the SIM card between phones, but not on CDMA.

One thing you might look into are those "one-number" services where they give you a different phone number, and when people call that number it rings on all of the phones that are registered to it. It would be expensive paying for two phone services tho...

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If I recall from when I used to sell phones back in the day at CC, granted it was 8 years ago, was that you couldn't have two phones with the same number.

Although now it is possible with the sim cards. During the workday, I have a treo 650 that I use and when I head out at night, I slip my SIM card into a smaller phone.

But does your provider use SIM cards?

7. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

No. Like you've been told, this isn't possible.

I just thought I'd drop in and say that this used to be possible. When I started working in wireless telecomm in 1994 as digital was getting started, having multiple phones on the same number was sold as a feature. You could have your enormous, clunky, but powerful car phone and your huge, clunky and weak handheld (which looked like an old army walkie-talkie) on the same number so you could still get calls when you were out of range with the portable phone. Of course those were the analog days.

Carriers started to phase this out because cloning became so rampant. Cloning (in case some of you weren't around then) is when people would illegally reprogram an analog phone so they could place calls on someone else's account. In the digital era, we tied the number to the EIN of the handset and then the SIM card. And of course, the improved battery life and range of digital phones combined with increased coverage from more towers led to a decline in the need for a long-range car booster.

8. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is possible. I saw it done in Bourne Supremacy!