Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
So I just ordered two 20in monitors from Dell (2005fpw) because the coupon expires shortly, and I thought I better ask some questions, so that when I order my PowerMac (at the end of this month, whether or not they update), I'll have everything I need and won't need to run out to get anything at the last minute.

Am I correct in assuming that I will need to order an ADC to DVI connector to connect the second monitor?

Also, should I go with the ATI Radeon 9600 XT to power these two, or would the stock configuration (the NVidia GeForce FX 5200) work well enough? If you need to know what I'll be doing, it's my home machine, so a lot of general purpose computing, but also freelance stuff that would entail Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (yup, that's right, I switched...and I'm not looking back). I do occasionally mess around with iMovie and iDVD as well...occasionally.

One more question: at work we're running an older single processor (867Mhz) G4 with a GeForce2 MX (32mb) video card. Since I won't be ordering my PowerMac until the end of the month, I'd like to bring one of the monitors to work to play around with. I think the video card just has the ADC (which is being taken up by the Studio Display we have) and...is it just a VGA connection? Will I need to buy an adapter to connect the 2005FPW to this computer?

I know that's a lot of questions, and thanks a lot (in advance) for your answers. I can't wait to get these monitors on my desk at home, and even more, get them hooked up to the computer I'll get before too long. Thanks again!

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
That you're a lucky b@5t412d. You could get a top end card like the x800 or the 6800, with 2 dvi ports. Otherwise you'll need an inexpensive dvi from adc extractor (different than the adc to dvi converter)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
jimsowden said:
That you're a lucky b@5t412d. You could get a top end card like the x800 or the 6800, with 2 dvi ports. Otherwise you'll need an inexpensive dvi from adc extractor (different than the adc to dvi converter)

I'll also be a poor bastard for quite awhile! I am spoiling the heck out of myself with this one.

So the ADC to DVI connector as listed on Apple's online store is not what I need? Is that what you're saying?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
If you're asking me...I'm from Missouri and found the coupon on
http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/lcd_monitor_deals.htm
with a little help from macrumors member jscheiman. There's a 35% off coupon that brings the price down to $487 US. You have to pay for tax, but even after that, it's a heck of a deal. I also had to do two separate transactions to get the discount to work on more than one monitor. Too bad the coupon ends in a day or so. The good news is, this deal is pretty regular.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Speaking of 2 monitors....
Does anyone know of a 2 monitor switcher? What i mean is that I have 2 monitors where I work (I have a PC there) and I want to buy a PowerMac yet keep the old computer for general office work and e-mail. I want to be able to just flip a switch and make both monitors switch from the PC to the Mac and then back again. i know there are individual switches and I'll get 2 of those if I have to. but I would prefer a single switch.

Sidenote: They are LCD monitors with a standard VGA hookup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.