Two extra hard drives, Two computers, Two problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quidire, May 14, 2006.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

I have a PM hooked up to a Lacie 500GB "Big Disk" (oy what a name!).

I have ordered a Mac mini Duo, a ministack 2.0 (a mini-sized usb/fw hub+hd enclosure) and a 300GB internal Seagate.

I am moving the PM out of my room, in favour of the Mac mini due to heat and noise (seriously, it raises the room temp by more than a few degrees). I was (belatedly) reading some reviews of the ministack (already having ordered it) and heard that its fan can be a bit noisy if the HD inside is a bit hot (which Seagates are/were known for). Additionally I'm concerned about the mini sitting atop this enclosure and thus having lots of heat build up.

Now I am having second thoughts. I need one of the extra drives attached to each computer; it doesn't matter a lot which is where. The ministack is needed for the mini for extra ports. I could:
    1. put the Seagate in the ministack, put the mini on top, leave the Lacie w/ the PM
    2. put the seagate inside the PM, hook the lacie to the mini (via the ministack)

The problem with the latter is that I'm worried that there will be heat problems inside the PM w/ its stock drive (150GB) and the Seagate flush against each other in that tiny drive cage.

If it helps, the mini's need for the extra space is to store EyeTV recordings (not mission critical), the PM is storing my iTunes library, Aperture library, various receipts and documents (well, as mission critical as it gets for my home use).

Which/what should I do?

Thanks!

2. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Does anyone have any experience w/ the Seagate 7200.9 300GB?