Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I have recently enabled two step authentication on both my iCloud and iTunes store Apple IDs. I have had the same problem two days in a row.

When purchasing something, I should be able to use Touch ID. Instead, im prompted to enter my password twice, and also an SMS authentication number. This leads me to believe my devices aren't "trusted." How can I address this?

I'm not sure if this matters, but I believe my devices are trusted through my iCloud ID. Can devices be trusted by two separate Apple IDs?

Any help, please!

indefinitekarma

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
I have recently enabled two step authentication on both my iCloud and iTunes store Apple IDs. I have had the same problem two days in a row.

When purchasing something, I should be able to use Touch ID. Instead, im prompted to enter my password twice, and also an SMS authentication number. This leads me to believe my devices aren't "trusted." How can I address this?

I'm not sure if this matters, but I believe my devices are trusted through my iCloud ID. Can devices be trusted by two separate Apple IDs?

Any help, please!

Try adding your iDevices to find my iphone.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Try adding your iDevices to find my iphone.

That may work as my devices are set up to find my iPhone from my iCloud apple ID, not my iTunes Apple ID. Is this how everyone else has it set up? They really need to start letting people merge these IDs...

Will report back shortly. I also have a call scheduled with Apple so I'll let you know the "official" resolution when I find out

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
That may work as my devices are set up to find my iPhone from my iCloud apple ID, not my iTunes Apple ID. Is this how everyone else has it set up? They really need to start letting people merge these IDs...

Will report back shortly. I also have a call scheduled with Apple so I'll let you know the "official" resolution when I find out

Oh, yeah keep your devices for your iCloud ID on Find my iPhone, the Store ID you'll just have to use with text messaging.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I'm guessing that it may be the two separate apple ID's that is what's causing problems for you. When two factor authentication is enabled, the first time you try to make a purchase on a new device you'll need to go through the two factor verification (The SMS message). Once you do that, then you should be able to continue making purchases on that device without going through it all again.

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need to go through the whole two factor authentication again each time you switch apple ID's. If you authenticate with one apple ID, can you then continue to make purchases with that apple ID without authenticating each time. Does it only happen when you switch ID's?

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I'm guessing that it may be the two separate apple ID's that is what's causing problems for you. When two factor authentication is enabled, the first time you try to make a purchase on a new device you'll need to go through the two factor verification (The SMS message). Once you do that, then you should be able to continue making purchases on that device without going through it all again.

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need to go through the whole two factor authentication again each time you switch apple ID's. If you authenticate with one apple ID, can you then continue to make purchases with that apple ID without authenticating each time. Does it only happen when you switch ID's?

I may be misinterpreting the situation but I have no problems. I have two Apple IDs: my original one that was used to make purchases and my iCloud one, which was previously for MobileMe. I'm signed into everything with the latter except the iTunes and App Store section of Settings. I have separately enabled Two Factor Authentication on both, my iCloud ID having two phone numbers for SMS and both my iPhone and iPad through Find my iPhone/iPad. My Store Apple ID just has SMS for the same two phone numbers as the iCloud ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.