Two-Finger Scrolling works on old PBooks & iBooks!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by woodsey, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodsey macrumors regular

Dont know if this has already been mentioned on these forums, but it appears you can enable Two-Finger scrolling on some older PowerBooks and iBooks.

I havent tried it myself, but here is the link...

http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's just a matter of time before something like this surfaces. Like we all assumed, Apple's trick is software-based. Many PowerBook users would be happy to see this. Now the only thing that makes their PB's "obsolete" is Bluetooth 2.0, and that's a non-issue because nobody uses BT 2.0 yet.

3. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Just tried it...works like a charm so far for me on my 12" PB Rev B.

Happiness!

-S

4. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

Wow! Thanks for this. I was looking into buying Sidetrack but I guess I can hold onto that money now. Works great on my iBook.

Anyone know how to create a little script to load this driver on startup? I know nothing about AppleScript and probably shouldn't have even been poking around in the terminal to get this working... but I had to try.

I know I could replace the Apple driver permanently but I'd rather not in case I do run into issues with this in the future.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Killer awesome for my 1st rev aluminum 15 incher! One less reason to drool over the new laptops makes me happy! :cool:

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've already got Sidetrack installed on my PB so am a little wary about adding another 'hack'. However this implementation does sound a lot cooler, doubt I'll be able to hold out for much longer but any more reports from people who've tested this hack out?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You will have to uninstall Sidetrack, as it makes this hack unavailable.

8. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

This is an outrage! If its only software based then Apple should provide a downloadable update for older laptop customers.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I figured as much but am still a little wary...but anything to make my PB feel newer! The things we do to keep up with the Jones's :p

10. sirius1722 macrumors member

Just to post my experience:
    I just installed it today on my rev C 12" Powerbook and so far no problems. I opted to do the permanent install and I, of course, backed up the original AppleACBMouse.kext file (or whatever it was called) then following a restart, it works like a charm. The only thing missing is a preference pane to tweak how it handles.....

11. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

It is BOTH software and hardware

People seem soooo confused about this. YES, Apple is using new hardware on the new powerbooks. Normally Synoptics makes trackpads for pretty much every laptop, including Apple. But now Apple is making the new ones in house and they run off USB instead. But a trackpad is a trackpad, there really is not much difference hardware wise for the new one. That is why the old driver that is open source and has been around since 2000 was able to be edited and perform right. The only problem, and it is negligable, is that the new USB trackpads Apple uses run more smoothly for the scrolling. I installed this hack on my powerbook and use rotational scrolling, like an ipod, and it works great. It only does not perform well when I move my fingers slowly, and it jerks. The new trackpads fix that. So yes Virginia, there is new hardware, but that doesn't matter.

12. dav macrumors 6502

Discovered this on del.icio.us today... Easy hack, lovely functionality.

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

being unexperienced with macs i wonder if someone could clarify something for me.

this hack wont actually damage any hardware components within an ibook/pb will it? sorry if that sounds stupid, but i get nervous when the word hack is used!

14. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.