Two Instances of Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ballington, Oct 24, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is it possible to have 2 instances of Itunes with one User?

I am a music producer/composer and am frequently given reference music to work with. Additionally, I often go through several revisions of the tracks I work on. I would like to have two versions of itunes I could open...one with my music collection, and another one with all of my work related tracks in it.

Thanks!

2. macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you hold the alt/option key down while launching itunes it will give you an option to choose which itunes library to open or to create a new one. So yes, you can have multiple itunes libraries.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I don't think this is possible, because both instances would share a common preferences file. You certainly can open as many instances of a program as you'd like (via the Terminal and a little trickery) but don't expect things to work smoothly.

6. macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

For those of you wanting to do this, here is an App that I use to help with managing multiple libraries:

iTunes Library Manager

If you want to *listen* to one library while working on another, I'd suggest getting something like SongBird and linking it to one library while having the other open in iTunes.