Two iPod nano questions (for those with an iPod nano)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rendezvouscp, Sep 27, 2005.

1. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'm waiting for my iPod nano to arrive (I'm so excited!) and have two questions about it.

1) The shuffle has an option to encode your music on transfer so I can keep the music on my iPod and my computer at different bit rates. Is this option accessible with the iPod nano too?

2) Since the iPod nano can't show pictures on T.V., I don't see any point in my pictures being very high resolution on the iPod for strictly iPod viewing. Upon transfer, are the photos optimized to a much smaller size, or are the photos in their huge resolutions still being transferred?

Thanks in advance.
    -Chase

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

1. No.

2. It gets optimized by default. And you have the option of storing the full size JPEGs in Disk Mode.

3. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, the music thing sucks, but that's great news for the photos. Do you, or anyone, happen to know a standard ratio for the photos stored? I'm curious because I'm trying to see how many photos and songs I can put on my iPod before it arrives.
    -Chase

4. aesth3tic macrumors member

a lot of photos. they are only thumbnails, so you could literally put thousands on there. I have approx 1200 photos (only thumbnail versions) and about 3.4 GB of music as well. That pretty much filled up all the space on my 4gb nano, but the majority of it is the music.

5. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

That makes me happier than, man I can't think of a good example of anything that makes me happier than! Really, that's fantastic. Thanks.
    -Chase

6. carpe diem macrumors 6502

7. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

will a veritcal photo be scaled down to fit the screen of the nano or wht?
    i know there shoulnd't be anything with the horizontal pics..what about the vertitcal?

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

not on mine, but that could just be the format of the pictures, or my settings in iPhoto.

anyone else?

9. kjr39 macrumors 6502

rant

Why?!!?!?

Why isn't #1 there!?! Why, why, why.

This is just stupid. I encode in Lossless and it is a pain in the ass that only the Shuffle has the option to set the type and bit rate of the music on it!?

/rant