Two iTunes libraries on one mac - sharing problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skp574, Jun 22, 2005.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2005
    I've tried searching but can't find the same scenario as mine.

Here goes:

I have one mac with two user accounts both logged in and both with shared iTunes libraries. I can view these two libraries on my laptop. However, I can only access one of them. If I try to open the second I get this error message:

"The shared music library ****** is not accessible for an unknown resaon (-3259)

Check that any firewall software running on either shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 49152"

I have checked both computers and the firewall is configured for iTunes music sharing. Why do I get this error message for only one of the shared libraries and not the other one?

What is port 49152? iTunes music sharing is port 3689.

Does anyone know why I can't access this library?

Cheers for any help.
  2. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2005
    ok, just an update...

I have opened up port 49152 on both computer and it now works. But why do I need to do it? Is this because of multiple libraries being shared at once.

It seems a little odd that I had to manually set up the Tiger/Panther firewall for this port and that it's not covered under the iTunes Music Sharing profile which only covers port 3689.

Problem solved, but just an curious as to know why though.
  3. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Just curious - you can see 'shared music' from other itunes users logged in to the same computer?
  4. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2005
    Yep. I have an iMac with two users logged in at the same time. Both have iTunes running with their libraries shared.

I have a PowerBook running iTunes too, and it can see both libraries in the source pane under Shared Music. Picture attached below:

Attached Files: