Two jobs, need advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DeSnousa, Feb 15, 2006.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Today I received great news, a new job (at a court library). However I have another job (at a supermarket). The job at the supermarket is perfect because I can work on the weekends. The job at the library is also great because its fun and in my area that I am studying at uni (ie, the contacts & work experience). So you can see my need to keep both jobs. Cause I need some weekend hours.

The job at the library knows that I have a job at the supermarket. But my boss at the supermarket doesn't know about this new job out the library. This is where my question comes in should I tell this boss about my new job or should I keep it a secret? What is you opinion on not telling a boss this kind of information?

My main concern about telling, is that;
    1) I'm on holidays at the moment and have been doing some week day work.
    2) Its going to piss my boss off, I'm pretty sure of it.
    3) I'm worried that I might lose some/all my hours on the weekend, because if I'm not doing a set amount of hours any more they might hire some body else.

Thanks for all your suggestions :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations on the new job. :)

I'd be upfront with the supermarket boss and say I've got an opportunity to work in an area I'm interested in but would love to maintain work at the supermarket. I remember being in the same situation but I got along really well with my first boss so it wasn't a problem. I don't know your relationship with your boss though. It may be better to just say you won't be able to work as many week hours without stipulating any reason.

3. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah don't get me wrong, my boss at the supermarket is kind and usually good with my hours :)

I'm just not sure....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, better safe than sorry. It'd be pretty bad if you fell out of favour with the supermarket boss, lost hours, decided the library job was crap, and then couldn't get work back at the supermarket. Don't you have uni coming up soon though? Surely your supermarket boss will be expecting less from you in the coming months. I'd just ask for less week hours and leave it at that. Tell him about the job only if he asks. :)

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

you could tell your boss, that a friend working in the court library, would need some help (tell him for a month) and you wish to help this "friend".

if the job in the court library is a job you would like to keep, tell the supermarket boss that they were satisfied with you and they would like to "keep you".

you could also tell the supermarket boss, that you really need the cash, and ask him if he is fine with that...

1. at least you could try out the new job, if it is a job you would like to keep.

2. you TOLD your supermarket boss about the job.

it is not totally honest. but if bush wasn't, why should you?

6. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thanks all for your thoughts, I think I might just tell my boss, because she knows that it is in my area of study and that I would of done some free work experience their if I was not being paid.